Chapter 28

Prompt from @MrsBarnesSalvatoreMikaelsonStJohn (ao3 user): I knew there was something off about Henry, it's in all the tiny details. Like, who asks out their boss right after they've been hired? (Crazy people, that's who) Also, the fact that he's got all of these nice features, like, *voila* a perfect dude. That's super suspicious, mainly bc no one is perfect. Oh, I almost forgot, it's mentioned that Henry's super uptight when it comes to their relationship. That's a major red flag and I suspect that he might be using her to gain access to Shield secrets maybe. I totally bet that he's either a Hydra spy or a spy from that mystery organization that her parents work with.

A/N: the first episode of Loki absolutely broke me today :)) (spoiler alert-ish?) i might have to write some heavy, heavy fluff later on to counter the image of loki sobbing over his mother's corpse and watching his death which has been in my head all day (thanks for that marvel<3) anyways, here's the next chapter, i hope you enjoy <3

...

"Hey... can we talk?"

Henry looks up from the other side of your office.

"Of course. What's wrong?" he replies, setting down the files he'd been looking through and giving you his full attention immediately. He's almost too perfect.

Loki's words from yesterday have been bugging you. "There's something not right about him."

Since he's said it, and told you that Fury has him under investigation, you've been noticing tiny details which you hadn't noticed before.

The way Henry's smile drops the minute he thinks you're not looking anymore. The way said smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. The way he hasn't talked about his past to you... at all.

"I just wanted to ask about your past. You've never really talked about it."

Is that panic that flashes behind his eyes, or are you just being paranoid?

"What do you want to know?" he asks, leaning against your desk.

"Well... why do you never bring it up? I don't want this to be like an interview," you say, smiling slightly. Nervously. "You just never seem to talk about anything before us meeting."

"Should I have to?" he asks, his tone slightly clipped. You're slightly taken aback; he hardly ever talks to you like this. It only heightens your suspicion that something isn't right.

"No. If you don't want to discuss it that's fine." you tell him curtly.

"Good, because I have a meeting with Maya and Ffion. I'll see you later." he says, kissing the air next to your cheek before leaving the room swiftly. You sit very still after he leaves, thinking. Your gaze falls on the now empty coffee cup which had been on your desk again this morning.

Loki's office is as empty as it had been yesterday when you look around the doorframe. He's sat behind the desk again, but this time he's wearing a suit and his legs are propped up on his desk as he reads a file.

Something happens in the pit of your stomach when you see him, and you almost have to reach for the doorframe to steady yourself.

"Come to apologise?" he asks without looking up.

Had you? You hadn't really decided yet. You tell him so.

"Shame, because I found more information last night which you might be interested to hear about." Loki tells you, still not looking at you as he drops the file, takes his feet from the desk and leans forward to tap some keys on the keyboard in front of him.

A confused smile creeps across your face.

"Is... that even turned on?" you ask, looking at the computer. He finally looks up at you.