Chapter 14: Protective

~Three Weeks Later~

The past month as Tom's bodyguard has been great. Thankfully, there haven't been any more incidents such as the party or the day we got drunk. We watched movies together almost every night, and played board games. We hung out in one of our rooms, talking about our lives and childhoods, sometimes not even saying anything at all, just being content in each other's presence.

I can't believe it's been a month already.

I'm currently in the middle of organizing my clothes to see which I have to launder when a loud alarm makes me practically jump out of my skin.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I recognize it as the alarm from the panic button, and hurry over to Tom's room, fear settling in my stomach.

As soon as Tom sees me step into view he presses his button again, ceasing the alarm.

As I barge in I'm met with a wonderful sight and start laughing.

Tom is standing on the bed, staring at a little brown thing on the floor, his eyes wide with fear. When I realize what it is I stop laughing and immediately jump on the bed with Tom.

"Wait- no-, you're supposed to help me take it outside." Tom bursts, never peeling his eyes away from the 8-legged creature.

"Did you maybe forget the part where I'm an arachnophobe?" I hiss at him, willing the spider to stay still. I'm not sure I'll sleep that well if it disappears.

"Well, do something please, I hate spiders,"

"No shit. I can see that. What do you want me to do, swallow it?"

"Just- take it outside or something, I don't know,"

"I'm calling housekeeping,"

"Yeah, yeah do that," Tom says encouragingly. "You call them and I'll keep an eye on the spider."

"Okay,"

"Wait- WAIT ITS MOVING-VAL HELP! ITS RUNNING AWAY-" Tom yells frantically, and I look over to see the spider scurrying over to my room.

"Oh no, you fucking don't," I exclaim. There is no fucking way a spider will set foot, or feet, in my room. I dash over to the table and grab a cup placing it over the spider, successfully trapping it inside. "Now where was I?"

"Maintenance,"

"Right," I say, and dial the housekeeping number. "Hi, yes hello, there's a... um, spider in our room, both my friend and I are giant arachnophobes, do you think someone could maybe come to take it away? Yes? Great. Yes, room 98. Oh thank you so much." I hang up.

"Are they coming?"

"Yes, in a second,"

A minute later a skeptical-looking cleaner comes in and eyes us scornfully.

"Where is it?" She asks, and I point to the cup on the floor, where the spider is now residing.

Heaving a big sigh she takes the 'Do Not Disturb' sign, slides it under the cup, and takes it away.

She sends one last look of dismay at us and walks back to the door.

"Thank you!" We both call out before she closes the door behind her.

"Its gone. Thank god," Tom breathes out as we both step off of the bed. One look at each other and we burst into peals of laughter, hunched over with gasps and wheezes.

"That spider was so big holy hell,"

"Right? It was like a mini tarantula,"

Once we both calm down enough to breathe normally, I head back over to my room to finish sorting through my dirty clothes.