Chapter 20: Winner, winner, Downey Dinner

Dinner with Robert the next day is a rather sombre affair, Tom and I still recovering from the events of the day before.

Neither of us mentioned the whispered confessions of the night before, and I couldn't tell whether I was happy or upset.

I think both. I picked at my food the whole dinner, and Robert kept throwing warry looks at Tom and I.

Just before the check arrives Tom heads to grab a to-go box from a passing waiter, and Robert turns to me.

"Hey, kid, I don't know what's going on between you two, but if you need to talk to someone, I'm here. And if he did something wrong, talk about it. Tom isn't very good at expressing his feelings." He whispers to me, and hurriedly snaps away when Tom starts back in our direction.

"Benedict is outside, we should go," He says, his tone indicating no interest whatsoever.

"Sure. Bye Robert," I hull myself to my feet and he copies my action, leaning forward to hug me goodbye.

"Bye kid. Remember what I said,'' He whispers into my ear before releasing me from his embrace.

He repeats this action with Tom, and with one more wave we head out to the car.

Tom doesn't even glance at me. He almost seems scared to touch me, as if I may break.

"I'm going to shower," He mumbles as we step into his hotel room, not meeting my gaze.

"Okay, I'll be here," I say, but I'm talking to an empty room. Tom is already in the bathroom.

BZZT. BZZT.

My phone buzzes with an incoming call and I check it to see that James is calling.

"Hey Einstein, whats up?"

"Tom told me you saw Luka, how are you doing?"

Right off the bat. Got it.

"Honestly? Not too great, but I'm dealing. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, especially since Tom was with me."

"Well you'll be pleased to know that he won't be feeling too great right about now either," He says in a mischievous tone.

"James... what did you do?"

"Nothing. Just gave him a black eye to match with his hair. And got him fired."

"James! What the fuck? You could have gotten in serious trouble!" I exclaim, suppressing a smile.

I shouldn't be laughing, but karma is such a delightful thing.

"But I didn't."

"How did you even manage to get him fired?"

"Simple. Lewis is friends with his boss and he told her about what he did to you. She was more than happy to fire him. Also, Lewis wants me to send you his best wishes and to let you know that you are welcome over anytime for movies and chinese food. what?- Lewis, babe- sorry hold on... sorry- okay he says it's not movies and chinese food its movies and mexican food. Yes, yes I told her, get off my dick. No- yes I know you are usually on top, it was a figure of speech-" James rambles to Lewis, and I don't even bother hiding my laughter anymore.

"Hold on," He says into the mic, and I hear some shuffling, and then Lewis speaking into the phone.

"He totally butchered my sweet offer," He complains into my ear and I snort out loud.

"Don't worry, I get the memo,"

"Still. And I feel like there's something else we need to talk about," He says to me suggestively.