Chapter 1

Meetings

3rd pov                                                                                                                                                                                    

A week passed, and the upper moons grew increasingly suspicious about their lord, Muzan Kibutsuji. They sensed that something significant had occurred, prompting Kokushibo to approach Muzan with his inquiry.

"My lord, did something favourable transpire?" Kokushibo asked, his voice laced with curiosity.

Muzan, with an air of secrecy, responded, "Indeed, something remarkable has taken place. Would you like to know what it is?"

"Only if you permit it," Kokushibo replied respectfully.

"I had planned for him to meet all the upper moons, but not this soon. However, a word of advice: if any of you lay a finger on him, prepare to suffer excruciating pain," Muzan warned with a hint of menace.

In perfect synchronization, all the upper moons chimed in, "Of course, my lord."

After requesting Nakime to bring Tanjiro to him, an air of anticipation enveloped the upper moons, save for Douma, who appeared genuinely excited. Baby Tanjiro was brought before them, eliciting various reactions from the upper moons.

"Aww, isn't he so cute?" Douma cooed, overflowing with joy at the sight of a human child.

Daki, on the other hand, displayed disgust at the sight of the baby, while Gyutaro was filled with curiosity, sensing a strange familiarity. Kokushibo, however, was struck with shock upon recognizing the resemblance between Tanjiro and his deceased brother, Yoriichi. Tanjiro bore the same birthmark as Yoriichi, Kokushibo's twin. Akaza, being astute, noticed the connection between the child and the first upper moon, Kokushibo, prompting him to wonder if they were related. Muzan, privy to their thoughts, felt a growing sense of exasperation as the situation grew increasingly complicated.

Muzan placed Tanjiro next to Nakime, who skillfully played her biwa, lulling the child to sleep. Douma, mischievous as ever, began to annoy Akaza, provoking him until he finally landed a punch. The two upper moons engaged in a petty argument, contributing to the already cacophonous atmosphere within the fortress. Startled by the commotion, Tanjiro awoke abruptly, crying out in distress. Muzan's anger flared at the disturbance caused by his second and third upper moons, Douma and Akaza. The two immediately apologized, and Gyutaro attempted to soothe Tanjiro, but unfortunately, his efforts were in vain.

Seeking a resolution, Muzan devised a plan to determine whom Tanjiro wanted to be with. He arranged all the upper moons in a line: 4, Hantengu; 5, Gyokko; 6, Daki and Gyutaro; 3, Akaza; 2, Douma; and 1, Kokushibo. Tanjiro's reactions would reveal his preference. The baby seemed repelled by those with monstrous appearances like Gyutaro, Hantengu, and Gyokko, yet he didn't mind Daki, Kokushibo, and Douma. However, it was Akaza who captivated Tanjiro's adoration. The worst response was reserved for Gyokko, whose unconventional appearance—two mouths where his eyes should be, an eye in place of a mouth, and a forehead eye—coupled with garish colours and the absence of legs, alarmed and unsettled the infant. Hantengu, resembling an old man with a fearful disposition, emitted a vibe that frightened Tanjiro, making him an undesirable presence. Gyutaro, with his emaciated form and peculiar birthmarks on his face, failed to elicit any positive response. Douma, while appearing outwardly human, sported rainbow eyes and a unique patch of blood-coloured hair atop his head, contrasting with the rest of his blond locks. Kokushibo resembled Douma but possessed black hair with red highlights and six eyes, three on each side, with his assigned number displayed in the middle pair.