xvii. A TOKEN

xvii. A TOKEN

✢ ✢ ✢

        Foster felt her heart begin to hammer in her chest violently and rapidly.

        "Foster?" Isaac's voice filled her ears in a blur, almost as though she was underwater and couldn't hear him properly. In fact, she felt like she was underwater, losing air. Her lungs were suffocating her, her head pounding violently. 

        "He's - he's - " she barely gasped out, her breaths becoming choppy and quick. "Isaac, he's - "

        Isaac's hand wrapped around her wrist, turning the blonde around so she's facing him. A determined look was on his face, but she could see past it, she could tell that he was just as terrified as she was. 

        "We're going to save him," he promised, tears breaking past her eyes and dribbling down her cheeks at this point. Her father just willing gave himself to the Darach, he was on his way to the bank as they spoke. "I swear to God we'll save him."

        "What if we can't?" she practically screamed, it feeling as though her heart was shredding into two. "What if can't?" she then breathed out softly, her whole body trembling rapidly. She honestly felt like she was going to pass out, knowing that her father wants to give himself up to her. Why would he do that? How could he do that to her? She won't be able to go on without him, she needed him more than she needed air.

        "Foster, we have to go," Isaac breathed out, his voice wavering as his grip on her shoulders tightened. She was spaced out, though, his words going in one ear and out the other. "Foster."

        Finally, she slowly nodded, allowing the blonde haired boy to slowly lead her out of her apartment.

        And all she could think was that they were already too late.

✢ ✢ ✢

        When Foster and Isaac finally made it to the bank where Erica, Boyd, and Cora were held captive only weeks prior, Foster found herself tugging the rusted and already broken chains off the doors before pushing them open in a rush. 

        She could hear her heart beating in her ears, her body feeling as though it was on fire. It felt like time was running out, and she knew that it very well could be for her father right now. Foster couldn't let Jennifer take him, she refused to let it happen. 

        Her footsteps echoed throughout the abandoned bank, dust and scattered papers littering the floor around her. It was dark all around her, her blue eyes adjusting to the dull lighting. She couldn't hear anything, and she felt panic course through her veins rapidly.

        Rather than thinking, she found herself running straight into the heart of the bank, searching for the vault. It was too difficult to find, thankfully. It was a large, empty room, a large circular door hung wide open. 

        The vault.

        Her eyes set in on it, her feet thinking for her as she sprinted toward the opening. Isaac was quick to follow, watching as his best friend sprinted in sheer terror. He had never seen her liked this before, and she looked as though she was about to lose it altogether. He wouldn't have been shocked if she had a mental break down in one of the next few seconds.

        She practically leaped over the piece of the wall that lead into the vault, the girl rushing inside. Her breaths were shaky, anxious for what she was bound to see. Her eyes scanned the inside of the vault, feeling her chest collapse inside of her when she say her father's wallet lying on the floor, Mr. Foster no where to be seen.