xix. LIGHT IN THE DARK

✢ ✢ ✢

        Foster was unable to breathe. She struggled for air, her eyes shooting open to see her friends all surrounding her, but she couldn't breathe. She struggled for a breath, feeling water begin to pool in her mouth, dripping down her chin before heaving over. Still in the tub, she choked on water that was practically filling inside of her.

        Her coughs were rough and bone chilling, water pouring steadily out of her mouth as her body screamed for oxygen. She needed air, she desired it. And soon enough, air was being suck into her mouth, filling her lungs like a prayer being yielded.

        Her hands were curled around the rims of the tub, the blonde haired girl heaved over from inside of it. Everyone stood around her, Stiles and Scott seeming as though they've been out much longer than she had been. Everyone stared with wide eyes, Foster taking notice of the tears on Scott's face and the pained expressions of everyone else.

        Her body trembled, the blonde trying to climb out of the tub. Rather than doing getting out, it felt as though a weight tugged at her, causing her to stumble. Her knee slammed against the edge of the tub as she tried to climb out, causing her to lose the little control she had.

        She went flying toward the floor, unable to find strength to catch herself. She was almost met with a face against the harsh tile, but two strong arms wrapped around her waist, steadying her. She wobbled back and forth slightly, her eyelids drooping as she felt a wave of sleepiness take over her.

        Foster felt as though she was about to pass out and never wake up.

        The worst thing, though, was she could feel something inside of her, eating away at her humanity. She was certain that it was the darkness surrounding her heart within her chest, it weighing down on her like a brick.

        She blinked, trying to regain her stability. She glanced around, noticing the way everyone was watching her as though she was a ticking time bomb.

        Her eyebrows furred together, the blonde breathing out, "What happened?"

        Scott's grip on her waist tightened, the boy breathing out, almost as though he was scared she was about to collapse, "You wouldn't wake up."

        Her face fell, her heart plummeting into her stomach at the words. She blinked away her confusion, stammering out, "Wha - what do you mean I didn't wake up?"

        Deaton looked toward her, explaining, "While Stiles and Scott came back at the same time, you didn't."

        "How much longer was I out?" she demanded, feeling her body begin to tremble even more feverishly. She had no control over it, and she couldn't help but wonder what the hell was wrong with her.  "Deaton!"

        "It was only a couple minutes - " Deaton began, Isaac quick to cut in.

        "But it was enough to scare the living shit out of me," Isaac informed, Foster looking over toward her best friend. He shot her a small smile, breathing out softly, "I'm glad you're okay."

        She felt her lip twitch into a tired smile, soon glancing toward Deaton, "I saw it. I saw the Nematon."

        Stiles scoffed from beside her, stating, "I'm pretty sure we all saw a hell of a lot more than just the Nematon?"

        Foster's face paled, the girl inquiring, "What do you mean?" They didn't know about what happened to her, did they?

        "What the hell was that back there? What happened between you and your mom?" Stiles demanded, Foster certain that she's ten times more confused about that conversation than Stiles was.