xxv. TRICKSTER SPIRITS

✢ ✢ ✢

Foster was atop of her bed, flat on her back and she stared up at the ceiling. Pressed against her ear was her cell phone, a certain McCall on the other side of the line. The two of them have started being with each other even more than usual. Foster wasn't going to lie, she loved it. She loved being on the phone with him before she went to bed, and the fact that he drove her to school now. He made her genuinely happy.

Even despite how hectic her day was, Scott still managed to put a smile on her face. Considering that a mass murderer was in their school today, things turned out a lot less catastrophic than the Foster girl anticipated. No one died, that was a plus in her book.

"So," Scott began to trail off, an odd tone to his voice. He sounded a bit nervous and she didn't exactly know what for. It's not like he's getting ready to propose to her or anything.

"So . . . what?" Foster prompted, awaiting the rest of what he has to say.

"I'm going over to Kira's house tonight," Scott blurted out, Foster's eyes widening in shock. He was going over to Kira's? Last time she checked, they never even talked to one another. Well, minus him saving her from getting eaten by a coyote, but that doesn't leave much room for conversation. Especially nothing involving things such as him going over to her house.

Trying to bite back her snarky tone, Foster questioned rather bitterly, "And why's that?"

"It's not what you think," Scott continued in a rush, Foster letting out a chuckle. She was shocked, she actually sounded quite salty as of right now. Then again, she kind of was. Her boyfriend was going over to another girl's house for no reason.

In disbelief, she scoffed. "It's not?"

"Look, her dad invited me over for dinner after saving her life," Scott explained, Foster letting out a soft sigh. That made sense. Actually, a lot of sense. If it weren't for him, Kira's body parts would be inside of a coyote's digestive system. "It's basically a thank you dinner."

"Oh," she spoke softly, her cheeks flushing a deep crimson color after she practically just had an overly jealous fit. "That makes sense. Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't do something to thank you."

"I told you it wasn't what you thought," Scott assured. Foster was embarrassed to say the least, and the fact that she was slightly jealous about Kira while there was a freaking bomber at their school today was ridiculous. The two of them were silent for a moment, Scott soon speaking up. "You know I really like you, right?"

Foster smiled to herself, a goofy grin now plastered on her face. "I know."

"No, like, I really, really like you Foster. I hope you know that," Scott continued, Foster's cheeks heating up considerably while butterflies erupted in her stomach. He made her feel all sorts of emotions she didn't think were possible. She was happy yet nervous all at the same time, yet despite being nervous she felt more comfortable being with him than anyone else. "You don't have to worry about anyone else."

She was grinning from ear to ear, mimicking the Cheshire cat. And as cheesy as she felt, she couldn't help but mumble out a: "I really like you too, McCall."

He chuckled, and Foster could only imagine how freaking adorable he looked right now doing so. "Hey, how about I stop by your place afterward?"

She smiled. "That sounds perfect."

"Okay, I'll see you later then?"

"Yeah, definitely," she assured, the two of them saying their goodbyes before ending the call.