Parenting with Team Awesome

Varian's POV: a little less then a year later

"Are you sure you can handle this alone?" Ellie asked.

"We'll be fine" i said, holding Leila in my arms.

She reached up and tried to grab my goggles.

"Oh, my goggles aren't a toy kiddo" i told her.

"I can always stay" Ellie said.

"No, you go have fun, i've got everything under control" i reassured her.

Leila pulled my goggles down over my eyes.

"Leila, you aren't helping" i told her, making her laugh.

When Ellie left i closed the door and sat Leila down infront of me.

"Ok kiddo, mama went away for a bit to help a friend with something but since you're still to young to travel all the way to the air kingdom, you're gonna spend a day with daddy, ok?" I told her.

She laughed.

"Ok! I have an idea, since i still have royal engineer stuff to do too, i'll bring you up to the castle with me and you can play while i work ok?" I said, i needed to be up at the castle in an hour so i got her ready and we headed out.

Later

"Wait, so Rapunzel isn't here either?" I asked.

"Queen stuff, it happens" Eugene said.

"Oh ok, anyway, i brought Leila over for a bit i was thinking she could hangout with Alex while i work" i said.

"Yeah, of course" Eugene said as we walked into the nursery where Alex was sitting on the floor playing with a stuffed lizard.

"He kept using Pascal as some sort of rattle so we got him this as a replacement" Eugene explained.

"Good idea, i wonder if we should get a stuffed Raccoon for Leila" i laughed, watching her try to grab Ruddiger's tail.

"Ok kiddo, Ruddiger isn't a toy" i said, putting Ruddiger up over my shoulders.

He chittered in annoyance.

"Yeah, i'm sure they'd both appreciate that" Eugene said.

"Ok well" i said "i need to get to work, i'll be back up to check on things in like... half an hour"

"Copy that Goggles!" He joked.

Not even ten minutes later

"Uh, Hair stripe!" I heard Eugene yell down the hall from the room i was working in.

I ran in the direction it was coming from.

He was in the kitchen.

"What is it?" I asked

"Well i figured they needed to be fed right? So i brought them in here so i could watch them while i got their food ready, next thing I know Leila's mixing almost anything she can get her hands on together into a bowl from the bottom cupboard! Is this normal!?" He asked.

"No she's never done that before" i looked over at Leila who was now covered in flour, sugar, i don't even know what else.

Then i realized.

I sighed.

"Yeah, no, this one's on me, i let her sit in my lab the other day so i could watch her while i worked" i said.

"Really!?" Eugene asked.

"I put her in her highchair, she wasn't gonna get into anything, i didn't think she was even paying attention to what i was doing" i explained.

I went to pick her up.

"Ok kiddo, i think you might need a bath" i told her.

She laughed.

"I'll be back, i need to get this little troublemaker cleaned up" i said.

I walked down the hall carrying Leila in my arms.

"How am i gonna explained this to your mom?" I asked her, knowing she wouldn't answer.

Ruddiger came up next to me with a look of suprise.

"Oh hey buddy" i said "so uh...this new project night need to wait a minute, a certain someone decided she wanted to play alchemy with the stuff in the kitchen so i need to clean her up."

Ruddiger smiled and nodded.

"Thanks for understanding buddy, being a parent takes up a lot of time" i said.

Ruddiger jokingly acted like he was tired out.

"Exactly" i said.