Chapter 5

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." Fury listed as Russo pressed the fabric on Natashas shoulder.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." Russo reminded and he continued to squeeze.

"Let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." Fury said leaning his head back on the white pillow.

"They cut you open. Your heart stopped." Natasha replied confusedly.

"Tetrodotoxin B." Savannah said grabbing everyone's attention.

"Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed one for stress. He didn't have anymore so..." Fury said looking back to Savannah to finish.

"So he asked me to make one, and I'm glad to see it worked" Savannah admitted proudly.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked not taking his eyes off Fury.

"Any attempt on the directors life had to look successful." Agent Hill announced.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Fury said.

Savannah could see the look on Natashas face. She looked defeated, betrayed almost.

————

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." Fury said looking at a photo of Pierce.

"See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury said angrily tossing the photo on the table.

"We have to stop the launch." Natasha said, her shoulder had been worked on and now had a wrap around it.

"I don't think the councils accepting my calls anymore." Fury said as he opened up a briefcase.

"What's that?" Sam asked curiously speaking for the rest of them.

"Once the helix arrives reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized." Agent Hill informed them.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury continued.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die." Savannah stated.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is Hydra. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything." Steve cut off Fury gaining Savannah's attention.

"We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down Shield" Steve demanded.

"Shield had nothing to do with this." Fury argued.

"You have me this mission. This is how it ends. Shields been compromised. You said so yourself. Hydra grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve said standing his ground.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury said shaking his head.

"How many paid the price before you did?" Steve countered.

Fury was speechless for a moment as he gathered his thoughts. "Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Fury sighed.

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that, too? Shield, Hydra, it all goes" Steve argued.