chapter twelve

T W E L V E
Chapter twelve !

DO YOU EVER HAVE THAT MOMENT OF REALIZATION ? The kind of realization that not only makes you think "oh fuck" but also "well that explains it", because Harley had that exact moment of realization this morning.

It was a friday, maybe a week or two after her somewhat weird lunch with the Cullens, and now the Swan girl feels as though she's unlocked all the secrets of the universe.

The girl kept looking back to these past couple of days, how hyper she was to see Wanda on Wednesday, how Bella had commented on her newfound extroversion and excitement. Her dad had pointed out that Harley was waking up earlier than normal, which Bella thought was good since Harley usually sleeps in and makes the two late to school.

Her newfound love for homework, just wanting something to do at all times, it was right under Harley's nose and yet she didn't even realize it. She was going into a manic episode.

Now manic episodes can be fun at first, but they can also make you do really bad things. Like shaving a cat's fur off, or trying to shampoo a carpet while you're cooking dinner, causing you to set the stove on fire. Just some examples of what Harley has done in the past. Yes Renée got Harley and Bella a beautiful fluffy cat to take care of, yes Harley was allergic, yes Harley shaved the fur off so she wouldn't sneeze anymore. Renée and Phil got rid of Marshmallow the cat after that incident.

Harley didn't really know how to bring it up with Charlie. Bella wouldn't really care, and she would usually try and keep a slightly better eye on her sibling. But it'd been so long since living with Charlie, how would he react ? Would he even know what to do ? Come to think of it, Harley can't remember if Renée ever did anything differently when Harley was manic. Weird.

It came out accidently, probably because Harley was thinking about it. But the silence that followed made Harley bounce her leg harder under the dinner table. She sat beside Bella (who was making them both a bowl of cereal) while their father sat in front of them, in his uniform, reading the paper and holding a cup of coffee, a plate of half eaten whole wheat toast sitting in front of him.

Charlie looked up at Harley with a somewhat dazed look in his eyes. How was he supposed to respond ? Was he supposed to do something ? Harley lived with her mother for the majority of her life, Renée would know more about her episodes and what to do right ?

Then the adult looked towards Bella who was almost finished pouring the milk into two identical bowls. "Am I supposed to do something ? Like, parent differently when she has a manic episode ?" He asked his eldest daughter. The girl simply sighed before holding two bowls in her hand, walking over to sit beside her sister.

"No. Just keep an eye on her, and take away sharp objects so she can't wreck anything." The brunette explained.

Harley shoved a spoonful of Honey Nut Cheerios in her mouth. "Hey fuck you." She spat out.

Charlie gasped. "Woah ! Language."

Bella shrugged while stirring her food around. "What ? You cut off Marshmallow's fur when you were like, eleven, and you tried to make a dress out of curtains after watching Enchanted, and then there was the time-"

Harley slapped a hand over Bella's mouth so she couldn't continue. "Stop it please. We don't need to hear anymore !" She exclaimed, before going back to her food.