chapter two

T W O

Chapter two !

HARLEY SWAN SAT IN HER OLD BED, IN HER OLD ROOM, WITH HER OLD JACKET. The teenager had switched her sweater out for her father’s old jean jacket. Her black tank top was peaking through the faded blue, and both colours seemed to go with her light grey sweatpants. She was silent as she listened to the conversation outside of the thin walls, her father telling Bella about the shelf in the bathroom he cleared off for the two girls to share, and how he picked up new sheets and comforters for the both of them. Harley heard something about purple, which is what she assumed were the colours of Bella’s sheets.

The brunette looked down on the bed she was sitting on, and looked in disgust to the forest green comforter that was fitted on her bed. She was waiting until she was sure Bella was in her room and Charlie went off somewhere, so she could get her bags from the car. She heard a faint “Thanks.” from a voice she could only assume was Bella’s and heard another person stomp down the stairs. Harley waited a couple more minutes just to make sure Charlie wouldn’t come up again. She was sure Bella wouldn’t leave her room tonight.

Groaning, Harley stretched her arms as she got up and off the bed. She slipped on her converse and stood up. She stretched again before walking towards the door, and put her hand on the handle to open it. Just then she heard footsteps coming up the stairs, and before she could process and stop herself Harley had already swung the door open.

There stood her father, carrying two bags in his hands, Harley’s bags. The two of them stopped and stood. Charlie at the top of the stairs and Harley in the doorway of her room. The man hesitated before speaking. “I brought your bags up for you.”

“I was going to get them.”

Charlie looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Her voice was quiet and calm, and she held a blank stare on her face. He sputtered while trying to think of something to say, but he couldn’t.

“Thanks.” She whispered. The father nodded and walked into her room, and set the bags on the ground. He sighed while looking at his daughter, her lips were dry and she had massive bags under her eyes. Long story short, she didn’t look too good.

A blanket of silence coated the two. Charlie stood with his hands on his hips, while Harley leaned against the door. He looked all over the room, trying to avoid her eyes that seemed to be glued on his face. He sighed, and looked back at her.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there. I tried coming but your mom said it was best if I don’t.”

Harley immediately knew what he was talking about, and she wished they weren’t talking about it. ‘The incident’ as Bella had dubbed it, happened almost two months ago. Harley wasn’t in the right mood to talk about it again. But one thing that confused the young woman was that her mother told Charlie that it was best if he didn’t show up. Harley’s mom told her that Charlie couldn’t make it.

Harley rolled her eyes at her father. “‘Best if you don’t come ?’ You were the only person I was asking for.” Harley said.

The dark haired man had a confused look on his face. “What ? Your mom said you didn’t want to see me.”

“‘Didn’t wanna see you’ ? Are you crazy ? Mom told me that you couldn’t make it.” Harley was getting more irritated by the second.