the sighting

HEAVY FEET POUNDED ON the forest floor, as the King weaved in and out of the trees. It was cold, and each time his wolf, Tobias, exhaled his silver eyes picked up the sight of his vapor mingling with the air. Ba bum! ba bum! ba bum! The sound of a heart beating flooded through his ears. They twitched backwards as he tried to pinpoint where it was coming from. Was it a lone deer, drinking from a nearby stream? Or was it another lycan out for a midnight stroll? The curious King couldn't tell, so he pushed his legs to follow the sound. His nose dropped to the ground, attempting to sniff out the unknown being, but the only thing he could smell was dirt and excrement of other animals. Huffing, Tobias picked his pace up to a trot, his pink tongue hanging from his lips. He stopped only for a moment, his head tilted back to the moon, and a howl escaping his throat before continuing on.

<>

A lone howl was heard in the distance and Aida's eyes peeled open slowly. Wolves calling out to one another was a typical thing to hear, she did live in a pack after all, but this one called out to Aida in a manner she hadn't felt before.

Verity scratched at the wall inside her head and she groaned, flashes of the black wolf appearing in her mind again. She tossed and turned in her cotton sheets feeling like something or someone was watching her. The howls grew louder and Aida realized it was moving towards her apartment. Something inside of her pushed Aida out of the comfort of her bed and onto the small balcony off the ensuite. Her eyes scanned the dark forest, looking for the source of the howl—and then she saw them, silver eyes. Verity scratched more aggressively and Aida had to bite down on her tongue so as to not cry out in pain.

"Mate," Verity chanted over and over.

The King stared up at the girl, on her balcony, his eyes wide with shock. Despite the fact that his mother was the Moon Goddess, he had spent the last few years believing he wouldn't receive a mate. "Let me shift," Draco pleaded with his wolf.

"No." Tobias grunted, shaking his head. "You're naked." Taking one final look at his Queen, Tobias flicked his tail and turned around. He was quick to run to the palace, surprising the guards that were stationed outside 24/7. He wasn't due back for another three days, but the King was known for his element of surprise. The door opened with a clunk! and Tobias padded through, shifting only when the doors closed. Rolling out his shoulder, Draco walked through the foyer and into the kitchen. The maids were at home with their families, it's the only reason he stayed naked.

"I hope she's blonde," Tobias's voice echoed through his head.

<>

With a heavy exhale Aida pushed her aching legs to go faster. Delta Jordan and Gamma Jackson were ahead of Aida, their long legs thundering on the forest floor. Faster, her subconscious said, urging her to pass them. She couldn't, the aching in her calves was spreading to her hamstrings, but she lengthened her stride and tried to push harder. The leap she took over the stream was graceful, but when she came down, she almost cried out in pain again. "Mate!" Verity wagged her tail inside Aida's mind. Her eyes flickered across the forest, looking for the wolf she had seen 12 hours ago. The pull she felt towards him, was much more obvious than it was last night and it took everything in her power to not run towards him. As a wolf, he was beautiful: perfectly obsidian black coat, abnormally large size, bright silver eyes, and a long scar running diagonally across his right eye down his snout, stopping at his upper lip. Aida's fast past run slowed to a jog, then a trot, and then she was walking. She had her suspicions about who her mate was, she just hoped she was wrong. Eyes followed her as she walked out of the forest and back onto pack grounds. She was their best warrior and never stopped running until she was in the training room. But today was different, today she walked. Ignoring the concerned looks she got, she headed for showers, not even surprised to see Talia half naked on Jason's desk. The Beta Female never liked running and was often caught using her body to get out of it. Warm water cascaded around Aida as she stepped underneath the quickly trickling water.