downfall

AIDA WATCHED DRACO FOLD and re-fold his tie five times before she stepped in to help him. "Sit down on the bed," she whispered.

Wordlessly, he dropped to the bed. He could see her in front of him, standing between his legs, concentrating on the task at hand but his brain wasn't registering anything she was doing.

"Baby," Aida sat on his leg sideways. "I know this is hard—"

"Do you!" He yelled standing up abruptly.

Aida collided with the floor, a low scream escaping her mouth.

Draco stepped over her. "You're not the one who was given this uncontrollable curse that made people fear you."

Cowering in fear, she scrambled back until she was flush against the bed.

"They're threatening my title, Aida. I don't think you understand what's that like."

Whimpering she got on her hands and knees and crawled out of the room. Fifteen minutes later, she had packed one bag for each of her children, strapped the twins into a stroller and was standing outside waiting for Selene. A black Rolls' Royce pulled up and Aida felt her heart crumble a bit. "Thanks for watching them," Aida sent her mother-in-law a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Where is he?" Selene asked, referring to her son who she wanted nothing more than to throttle.

Aida shook her head. "Now isn't the best time, Ma. I packed enough things for one week, I'll call you if it's going to be any longer than that. Maverley will start school again on Wednesday, her uniforms are in her bag and she starts school at 7:30 and ends at 1:30."

Selene nodded. "Are you okay?"

"The twins are allergic to kiwi."

Selene narrowed her eyes. "Stop deflecting Aida."

The Queen waved a hand. "I'm fine," her smile was fake. "Seriously, I'm alright." Turning her attention to her kids she kissed them each on the head and waved goodbye. "I'll call every night."

Stepping forward, Selene wrapped her arms around Aida and rubbed her back up and down. "Stay safe and come over if things get out of hand."

Aida didn't allow herself to cry until the door to her chambers had closed, providing a barrier between her and the rest of the world. There was a knock at the door and she stumbled to reach it, before it came crashing down. "Grace," she straightened her spine and whipped underneath her eyebrows. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry, My Lady, I know I'm not supposed to bother you when you're in your chambers but the car is here."

The words, 'I'm not going,' sat on the tip of Aida's tongue but she swallowed them. With a curt nod, she pulled her hair from it's bun and placed her crown on her head. Splashing cold water on her face, Aida used a couple eye drops, plastered a fake smile on her face and walked out of the door.

Draco didn't lose his title but his temper was starting to dissipate after five very harsh days. Grunting he rolled out of bed and walked down the stairs to the kitchen. A glimpse of honey colored hair piqued his interest, but it was only for a split second. He sighed and ran a hand down his face. Draco couldn't remember what he did to make Aida send the kids away or sleep in her formal chambers, and that pained him. "Hi Greta," Draco muttered to the head cook who seemed to also be avoiding him like the plague.

She tutted and dropped a plate of food in front of him. "I'm only doing this because the Queen ordered me to make sure you stay well fed. If it was up to me, I would let you starve in a heartbeat."

Not phased by her language, Draco sent her a smile. "How is she?"

"Shut up."

"Okay." Eating his food in silence, Draco raked through his brain for ideas. "Do we have a basket?"