𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕

POSSIBLE TRIGGER WARNING: Lack of sleep, stress, insecurities, uncontrollable emotions

"𝐌iss Lennox?"

I realized that I had fallen asleep next to my mom's bed again. Confused and half-asleep, I asked the nurse what time it was.

"It's almost ten, Miss. Visiting hour is over."

"I'm staying here tonight. The doctor said she isn't doing too well," I frowned, looking at her. "I can't leave her. She needs me, as do I."

"I see. Well, in that case, good night, Miss Lennox," the nurse smiled and walked out quietly.

Tears were welling up in my eyes. "What would I do without you?" I held her hand and listened to the steady beeping of the machines.

I spent the next hour taking care of her, wiping her forehead when she was sweating because of the heat. I'd tell her so many things, but I know she can't hear me in her sleep.

"I'll do anything and everything I can to help you," I sat down on the chair next to her, placing her hand on my cheek. "All I want is for you to get better."

Resting my head on her bed, I cried silently and eventually fell asleep.

𝐈 woke up the next day with my mom still sleeping. Knowing that she might be asleep for a few more hours, I decided to leave and continue searching for jobs.

Everything is down to the wire. It's already December 1st, and I still need to pay the upcoming bills.

I walked to the front desk and asked the lady if I could borrow the telephone to call Madi, which she allowed. 

"Please make it quick, though. A minute at most," she said.

I dialed her number as fast as possible, and after a few rings, she picked up.

"Hello?" She said.

"Hey, uh, it's me. Could you pick me up at the hospital?"

"Did you sleep there last night? I gave you money to go home, not sleep there!" She exclaimed, obviously worried.

"I can't talk too much right now, but I need someone to pick me up... so please?"

She sighed. "Alright. I'll help you. Wait outside for me, alright?"

"Alright," I replied and hung up.

Thanking the nurse, I walked downstairs and waited for her. After a few minutes, she arrived in her pajamas.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" I asked, buckling up.

"Maybe. It's okay, though."

"Thanks," I smiled as she started driving.