𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

CHAPTER FIVE:❝︎Public Service❞︎

CHAPTER FIVE:
❝︎Public Service❞︎

    "ALL RIGHT, GATHER TOGETHER." Dorian told the group of witches. Harper glanced towards Josie before offering the girl a small smile as she grabbed her hand along with the witch beside of her. "Chain spells are about the fluid movement of energy from witch to witch. Where's Penelope Park?"

     Lizzie looked up towards the man who was standing behind her before answering him. "Um, lady cramps, Mr. Williams."

     "Sorry I asked." He then continued with the topic of discussion. "A disharmonious group makes for an uneven flow." There was stifled laughter before Josie burst out into laughter and Harper gently chuckled. That's when a note came flying into the room, making the group glance up.

     "Uh-oh, who's in trouble with the headmaster?" Josie mumbled.

     "Probably the people who started a rumble with the local high school." Hope answered as Dorian grabbed the letter. Harper sighed and met eyes with Hope, the girl simply shrugging her shoulders.

     "Lizzie Saltzman, Josie Saltzman, Harper Hayes." Dorian read before looking towards Hope. "And baby makes four." Harper frowned when her name was mentioned before the four girls all stood up and left, finding Dr. Saltzman.

     "This makes no sense, dad." Lizzie told him, shaking her head and walking up the steps. "Why are we being punished."

     "Because you started a brawl at a charity football game that risked exposing what we really do here." Alaric simply answered.  

     "Well, you weren't mad last night."

     "I was mad last night." He corrected. "My undying love for my daughters just happened to trump my rage. I volunteered everyone in the game, so stop complaining. You're lucky that it's just community service and not actual jail time."

     "Can I at least offer a rebuttal in my defense, if it pleases the court?" Lizzie tried. Alaric motioned his hand for her to continue. "First of all, I was provoked. My response was totally proportional considering the levels of abuse I was forced to endure. And secondly. . . if anyone should take the blame, it's Josie."

     "What?" Josie asked in disbelief.

     "I'm sorry. I totally cracked under cross, but if you had just let Kaleb catch the ball―︎"

     "You'd still be in trouble." Alaric cut her off.

     "But nice job throwing your sister under the bus." Hope said with an amused smile.

     "Thank you, Hope." Josie thanked, her arms crossed over her chest.

     "Hope." Harper mumbled, telling her to stay out of the sister rivalry.