𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE:❝︎Promise Me❞︎

❝︎Promise Me❞︎

"ATTENTION STUDENTS, PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE MORNING ASSEMBLY." Alaric's voice echoed over the intercom. Harper didn't want to move from her bed, and although Hope enjoyed having her own room now that she'd been moved, she knew Harper needed her so for the meantime she was staying with Harper. Hope watched Harper, frowning deeply.

"Come on, Harp." Hope gently said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "We need to go."

"I don't want to go." Harper whispered. She's been non stop crying since it happened.

"I know." Hope nodded. "But you have to." Harper finally got out of bed and Hope interlocked their arms as they made their way towards the assembly. Hope glanced towards Landon and immediately turned away from him and led Harper to the assembly.

Alaric stood in front of all of the students. "I know you are all worried. Believe me, no one is more worried than I am. My daughter Josie is still missing. But even as I speak, we're doing everything to find her. Jed and the wolves are attempting to track her. Kaleb and the vampires have compelled local police for any help that they can provide. We will find her and bring her home. That said, I just want to reiterate, under no circumstances should any of you approach her. While she is our family and friend, she is under the influence of black magic and. . . not herself. Your safety and Josie's is my top priority. I promise you I will get through to her and bring back the Josie we all know and love safely. But first, we just have to find her."

The sound of doors flying open made them all turn. Josie entered through the double doors at the top of the steps. "I'm right here, dad." Immediately Harper and Hope stood up. Josie floated over the stairs, landing on the floor safely. "Well, don't look so shocked. Did you really think that I would miss my birthday?" She looked at Lizzie, placing a hair behind her ear. "Oh, I'm sorry, our birthday." She turned back towards her dad. "So, what did I miss?"

The assembly was dismissed and as Josie walked around the school, using students to prepare for her birthday, Harper hid away in her room. She stayed in there all day, putting her nose in multiple books, trying a way to distract herself. She couldn't see Josie like this. A knock came at her door before it opened. It was Hope, she came in now without Harper's permission and Harper didn't hate her comfort so she let her.

"Josie's planning to merge with Lizzie tonight."

Harper closed her book immediately, looking at Hope with wide eyes. "What?"

"I have a plan. Lizzie has to win in order to make it work, she's talking to a witch that's supposed to help her. I didn't know if you wanted to be in it or not so I didn't really include you." Hope trailed off at the last part.

"And if Lizzie doesn't win?" Harper asked. "She'll die, Hope."

"Harp, it's the best plan we have."