𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:❝Sphinx❞︎

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:
❝Sphinx❞︎

WHEN HOPE ASKED HER TO COME WATCH THE MALIVORE PORTAL WITH HER, HARPER DIDN'T HESITATE TO GO WITH HER. She knew how much Hope wanted to get out, especially with how things between her and Landon were, not to mention Josie who didn't even know where herself and Landon stood. The duo sat on the bench, Harper leaning her head on Hope's shoulder as she closed her eyes, keeping her ears alert if something were to appear.

     The sound of footsteps approaching made Harper lift her hand, smiling when she saw the twins making their way over to the duo. "Reporting for portal duty!" Lizzie smiled, sending the two a salute. Lizzie, noticing the surprised look that she was giving Josie, said, "I brought back up." After a moment, Hope sent the two a small smile.

     Lizzie and Josie sat down and there was nothing but silence. Hope was leaning closer towards Harper, her arms crossed over her chest as she tried to ignore Harper's encouraging words. The two friends shared a silent conversation with one another before Lizzie broke the silence. "So, this is . . . nice, right? Together again."

     "It's great." Hope nodded.

     "It's awesome." Josie mumbled.

     Lizzie exchanged looks with Harper. "I mean, for the two of you not to be talking to each other just because you're competing for the love of the same garden gnome. . ." Harper cracked a small smile at that. "I think we're more evolved than that as women."

     "Absolutely." Hope agreed.

     "Without a doubt." Josie nodded.

     "Good. Because, personally, I've never been better. My work paid off. My mind is sharp. All perceived mental break downs were a figment of my imagination fed by two manipulative vampires who will remain forever my enemies." Clearly Lizzie and Sebastian were doing great.

     "What's going on with Sebastian?" Hope decided to ask.

     "Headmaster Downton Abbey wants us to enroll him to keep him off the streets. But after deliberately letting me think I was unwell, I will not let that happen."

     "You should forgive MG." Josie suggested.  

     "Never."

     Josie turned to look at her. "He didn't want to hurt you."

     "He hid things from me. Zero stars."

     "He's not the only friend keeping secrets."

     Hope looked at her. "I didn't want to hurt you either."

     "Yeah, well, zero stars." Josie then turned to look at the crystal that Hope had been holding in her hands. "Is that what I think it is?"

     "Yeah." Hope then reached out, handing it to Josie. "Here. I don't need it anymore."