Chapter 1

Accalia

Blowing a breath through my pursed lips, I looked around at where I'd stopped running. This is my routine most days. I get up, put on my workout clothes and run until I feel it would be appropriate to stop. I could go on for hours, my inner wolf demanding to be let out and to run free but in Irvine, there aren't a lot of safe spaces to shift without arising suspicion. I'd arrived in California six years ago but I still wasn't used to being around humans so much. After being made rogue by those people I decided it best to move far away and blend in with other humans. Luckily it wasn't hard to set up my new life; human's cared little for how you got here, as a matter of fact they didn't care at all. I groaned when my phone vibrated from its pocket on my arm and I pulled it out, glancing at the caller ID before answering

"What do you want, Ashton?" I snapped, irritation coating every syllable. I had already made plans to cross states to some denser areas to let off some steam this weekend, but damn it my inner wolf didn't want to wait any longer.

"Jeez Ace I didn't know being cooped up in Irvine made you so irritable," My best friend chuckled on the other end and I ground my molars slowly. "I just wanted to know if you were still up for this weekend?" I drifted towards a wall and leaned against it up, picking at non-existent lint on my grey workout leggings.

"I'll meet you in the forest before 11." With that I hung up, not wanting to hear any more lectures about how stupid I was for moving so far away. Ashton Fenrir was part of the Farkas pack, which I once belonged to, over in New Orleans and he never forgave me for disappearing for weeks after I was banished. As a pup, I was the runt of the litter my mother had. Her name is Ylva and she's stunning; red fiery hair, golden skin and piercing blue eyes that held you captivated as she told stories from when she was a young pup before my siblings and I fell asleep. She was mated to my father, Edon who had similar red hair and dark eyes that looked like he could kill you with one touch; I was terrified of him. They had found each other early on in their lives, and it was love at first sight for my mother. She only had one litter and had 5 of us in total. I was the middle child and if being the middle child in the human world wasn't enough; I shifted last, despite being 4 hours older than Kiyiya, and lost all respect from my father Edon as he stared down pityingly at my weaker wolf form. From that point on I was pretty much cast aside until I met Z'ev... Shaking my head, I turned back the way I came and began a light jog towards my apartment. 

"Where have you been Ace?" My roommate, Janie asked from her position on the couch and didn't even spare me a glance as her eyes remained glued to the television across from her. Typical human... We only had a small apartment; two bedrooms, one bathroom and an open plan kitchen living area. When I was made rogue, they don't exactly give you money to move out so I enrolled in a college doing a long-term sports programme and stayed in a dorm for a few weeks until I met Janie. Casting her a sparing glance as I turned towards the bathroom, I remembered when we first met. I'd told her I was 17, and she'd never questioned it. It helped that I'd aged into maturity over the last 5 years, so I was starting to fit my supposed age now. Janie decided to go to college after her long-term engagement ended as a way to distract herself, something we bonded on when we first met over a coffee in the campus common room. At 23 years old, her blonde hair hung around her shoulders in a curled bob, green eyes that twinkled in the sunlight and tanned skin going from her nose right down to her lengthly legs. We were picture-perfect opposites, and we both stood at a generous 5'5. I had inherited my mother's red hair, but the pale skin tone and dirty freckles that littered my nose and cheeks were all mine. I'd been blessed by the Moon Goddess with a decent figure, much to Janie's envy. I could wear the skimpy tight dresses she had bought but she told me she couldn't wear them because her 'boobs were too big'.

 As I closed the bathroom door and spun around, I came face to face with my reflection staring back at me. I used to look so radiant, but now all I saw in front of me was a broken shell of a woman, and a werewolf begging to be let out.