Chapter 52

Ethan

With each passing mile, the feeling in my heart got worse, and I knew the pack could feel it. A few of the weaker members had to turn back because my emotions were too much for them. I couldn't bear the idea of anything happening to my redhead and I feared it would be too late when I got there. I'd contacted Leon, the Alpha King on the way but even with his seniority he wouldn't be there before we were, so I was alone in this one. He didn't question my motives for a minute, and I began to wonder if the wolves that surrounded me knew something I didn't.

After 2 days of gruelling travelling, we shifted just outside of New Orleans, my human form feeling weird and achy after the copious amount of time we'd spent running across the country. We ate some food and had a few hours of sleep, though I only managed half an hour before a nightmare of my Ace being tortured woke me up and I spent the rest of the time pacing, waiting for the pack to be ready to go again.

"This has really fucked you up, hasn't it?" Deryn spoke quietly from behind me and I spun to face him, unaware that anyone else was awake. I nodded solemnly, looking into the distance where the New Orleans territory line lay. Soon I'd be within reach of my rogue and I could save her; by the Moon Goddess, I hope I can save her.

"What if we're too late Deryn? I can't go on if she's dead. This wasn't supposed to happen, all because I was an asshole to the one person I wanted to spend time with..." I trailed off, unsure of where I was going with my thought process. "She told me she couldn't keep seeing me, you know? Wouldn't tell me why, just said she couldn't do it anymore and I pushed her to keep staying with me. I don't regret it but what if she hates me for it? What if-" My second in command placed his hand on my shoulder to stop me spiralling and I gave him a grateful smile but he hesitated, sighing heavily and running a hand through his hair that was free from its top knot, an unusual sight for me.

"Jet told me something, and I didn't think it was relevant before but I think it is now." My blood began bubbling at the mention of the rogue gardener I had employed who seemed to have taken a liking to my redhead. "He told me he'd overheard a conversation between Ace and Kurt before she went missing. Apparently, Kurt had told her that he'd tell you everything about her if she didn't stay away from you, and I imagine that's why she tried to cease your visits..." My whole world crashed around me. I was the reason why my redhead with piercing blue eyes was now being tortured by her ex-mate? Because I pushed her to stay with me when she was trying to protect her secret? I can understand why, I always said I'd kill anyone from the Farkas pack when I found them and hadn't decided how I felt about Ace now I knew her true identity. I did know however that it was my fault that she's now suffering, and I had to stop that; immediately. The pack got up shortly afterwards, clearly sensing my urgency to get moving and we set off over the New Orleans territory line.

"Ethan! I was waiting for you to show up here to protect your precious little rogue. I hear Z'ev's done quite a number on her already-" I lunged to grab him but 2 hunter's grabbed me and I threw them off, though a quick glance around showed all-out chaos with my pack fighting every wolf that approached them. I was proud but refocused on the mission

"Why did you do it, Kurt? You were happy as third in command, and nothing was going on between Ace and me, though you made sure of that." My teeth were clenched almost painfully but I glared at the shorter man in front of me, feeling nothing but disdain and betrayal. 

"That's the problem, Ethan. Your attention was always on HER! Don't you see? I've been in love with you since the beginning and you kept pushing me away," I blinked quickly, taken aback at the confession of the traitor in front of me. "But you kept chasing after the one girl who felt nothing for you! I was right here all along Ethan!" I rolled my eyes, choosing to process it later just as Deryn landed a punch to the side of his head, knocking him out cold before diving a silver knife through his heart and I looked away, disgusted that love could make someone do such ridiculous things. I looked to my right and saw Ace's body double in the male form being escorted over to me