Chapter 12

Accalia

I'd just finished with the watering can and the sun was going down; I'd escaped eating lunch and felt proud of myself for the accomplishment. If I was working, that meant I was too busy to eat and therefore I wouldn't have to worry about anyone noticing my lack of appetite. As I walked into the kitchen, only Raula was sitting at the table, clearly waiting for everyone else to arrive. She rushed up from her seat, taking me in her arms and fussing over the wound.

"I'm fine, Raula. I just tripped and hit my head in the shed. I sorted it out, I'm fine I swear." I reassured her and she hugged me tightly in response.

"I thought Ethan was talking about you earlier... I got so worried for a moment there..." Her face was relieved but mine was confused

"What do you mean by that? What happened?" I asked, tactfully avoiding the fact that I knew Alpha Lupus' real name which very few did. Raula shook her head, stroking my arm comfortingly and tucking the strand of my hair behind my ear that had fallen back down.

"He was going insane. I thought it was about you, but it must not have been. He's been mindlinking the whole pack for the last half an hour. He seemed livid at dinner but wouldn't tell me why..." She mused but our conversation was cut short as the rest of the workers filed into the kitchen, eyes drawn to the dressing on my forehead as they took their seats.

"What happened, Ace? You were just watering some damn flowers." Jet teased and Raula shot him a stern look to shut him up which I wordlessly thanked her for.

"What did happen, Ace?" Adolfina asked casually, trying not to draw too much attention and seeming unbothered. I don't know if it was for my benefit or not, but I appreciated her nonchalance as I took a seat and stared at the plate in front of me full to the brim of food and I felt the telltale wave of nausea rolling over me.

"I fell into a shelf in the shed and cut my head open. I tripped over my own feet." I explained, glancing up at the faces which all looked at me incredulously; Jet stared in shock, Adolfina pretended not to care but saw her glancing worriedly over at the dressing on the left side of my head, and Louvel snorted with laughter, earning a smack on the arm from Raula who sympathetically smiled at me before widening her eyes. I gave her a quizzical look back but she wouldn't meet my gaze, staring down at her plate instead

"That wasn't quite what happened though. Was it, Rogue Ace?" That same damned voice came from behind and I almost fell out of my chair as I jumped at the deepness of it. Adolfina steadied me to my left and I shot her a quick smile before slowly turning to face the startling hazel eyes which were boring a hole into the back of my head

"What do you mean, Alpha?" I whispered, remembering the etiquette and bowing my head to look at his shoes. He chuckled coldly and I froze on the spot, wondering how much he knew and how much trouble I was going to be in when everyone realized that I'd lied to the Alpha.

"You're missing part of the story, Rogue Ace. Go on, I'm sure the rest of the group would love to hear what else happened." Alpha Lupus was leaning against the door frame now and as I glanced up, I could see a hint of amusement dancing across his otherwise stoic expression. I stuttered a bit, opening and closing my mouth like a damned goldfish before taking a deep breath and my inner wolf growled when she realized what I was about to say.

"Sorry, Alpha Lupus. I don't know what you are talking about. I was filling up the watering can and went to look at the packets of seeds when I tripped over and hit the shelf." I lied, chewing on my bottom lip as it truly washed over me how much trouble I was in if he could see past the lies I'd told. Unfortunately, I couldn't dwell on it much as Alpha Lupus stood from where he leaned against the door and I flinched away as he stalked towards me, grabbing my arm and dragging me off of the stool and out of the kitchen. As I looked back, Raula was giving me a sympathetic smile and the rest looked terrified, which was no help to my growing nerves. I desperately tried to gain my footing as I was being dragged through the dining room but fell out of Alpha Lupus' grip and he growled as my arms hit the floor and I hissed in pain, no doubt bruising my wrists. He turned to look down and scooped me up, a habit I noticed he only seemed to have with me. I didn't fight it this time, simply chewing my lip in thought as Alpha Lupus walked through various hallways, getting me lost as I still didn't know my way around the maze.