Chapter 46

Accalia

The next few days passed exactly the same; I'd clean and garden and tidy when the sun was up, serving Alpha Lupus and his pack at breakfast and dinner, but spend my late evenings in the library with Ethan engrossed in our books under the moonlight. I'd once said it would take me a decade to read all these books, but a part of me hoped at least that meant I could be here for a significant amount of time. Each night I got slightly closer to Ethan, my inner wolf giving me the strength and courage to make the move to close the distance. The second night I sat on the seat directly opposite the Alpha, then the third I moved onto the armchair between the two loveseats. The fourth day I made the leap and sat on the opposite end of the sofa, to which Ethan turned his body towards me as we read, directly facing each other with my feet tucked underneath my small frame as I skimmed the pages. On the fifth day, I sat beside him but with all the late nights, they were catching up to me quickly. My eyes sleepily opened and closed as I tried to focus on the words on the page of the novel in my hands. I felt weak, exhausted as I was doing overtime to keep up the double life I was leading, but my head rolled back as slumber took over me and I felt Ethan's shoulder on my cheek as I slept, comforted by the scent of cologne that lulled me deeper into slumber. I awoke the next day to find myself in bed and made a mental note to thank Ethan for bringing me back here, ignoring how my inner wolf whined that I hadn't spent the night in the Alpha's room.

I decided to talk to him later tonight, in case Delta Kurt was watching my every move so I remained professional throughout the day. I only noticed Ethan watching me today when Jet came up to me

"Princess, can you get Alpha Lupus to stop staring at you? It's kind of creepy." The blonde-haired gardener grumbled and I spun around, seeing Ethan sure enough on the other side of the field, eyes trained on me. I blushed a vibrant red colour and ducked my head, turning away from him

"I don't know why he's staring. Maybe he's looking at you?" I joked, but my inner wolf didn't miss a thing and went wild inside of me; he was paying attention to me.

"He follows you around everywhere princess. When you cook and serve his eyes never leave you, when you clean he follows you around and now he's watching you work with me. What if I wanted you to myself, huh?" I immediately laughed at Jet's words but stopped when I realised he wasn't joking. I liked Jet, just as a friend though and it hadn't occurred to me that he might feel differently.

"I'm no-one's Jet. You know this by now, we're rogue so we don't get another person until the Moon Goddess graces us with one." I ended the conversation there and walked over to the flowers, glancing to where Ethan was just leaning against the fence but he was no longer resting against it. I tried to push away the image of him staring at me but I couldn't; he wore a skin-tight grey top and black jeans with white sneakers and as he propped himself against the metal fencing, his bicep muscles tensed underneath his sleeves and perfectly messy brown hair hung slightly over his forehead. By the Moon Goddess, the Alpha was hot and he knew it. He didn't even have to try, he reeked of sex appeal and that was part of the reason why my inner wolf couldn't contain herself in his presence. I tried to focus on distributing the water over the brightly coloured blossoms but flinched when I felt a presence behind me

"What if we changed that?" I spun to face Jet who must have followed me over here; ironic really.

"Now who's following me, Jet?" I teased lightheartedly, already knowing where this conversation was going.

"No, I'm serious. What if we changed our lone wolf status, princess?" I opened and closed my mouth like a goldfish, unable to come up with a good enough answer that wouldn't hurt the gardener's feelings but would also absolve me from this discussion.

"What was that, Rogue Jet?" The heavy accent came from behind the blonde-haired wolf and I jumped, taking a step backwards towards the flowers as Jet turned slowly to face the Alpha with his head bowed. I quickly submitted also, though my heart was pounding hard; how much had he heard? "Rogue Jet I'm not at liberty to repeat myself. What did you just say?" If I'm not mistaken, the Alpha seemed pissed which was a large contrast from the relaxed look he had just minutes ago.