Chapter 3

Accalia

Of course, Janie had a million questions when I woke up the following morning, groaning as the sunlight streamed through my open curtains.

"Ace you can't ignore me forever! How were they?" She asked again, bouncing excitedly on the edge of my bed and I had to force back a growl as I sat up to face my gorgeous roommate, who still looked stunning this early in the morning. I had no energy to make up some stories about last night, especially as the night had already gone so pear-shaped when I blatantly ignored an Alpha that most definitely should have recognised me. Taking a deep breath, I ran a hand through my red hair, momentarily wondering where the hair band had run off to in the middle of the night.

"They introduced me to one of their work colleagues so I'd say it was a success." I lied, gritting my teeth as she squealed, hugging me tightly. Deep down I wanted my stories to be true, but I knew that could never be. Janie believed my mother worked in an office somewhere and my dad was a mechanic, I had no siblings and just drifted from them after I decided to pursue sports instead of medicine like they 'originally wanted'. That part wasn't a lie, they wanted me to either become a warrior like my siblings or a Salutary like Jason's moonlight fling but I had no desire for it, I was happy being an Omega where I was ignored for the most part. I glanced at the clock on my bedside table and shot up, realising I'd be late for class if I didn't get a move on. After promising that I'd tell Janie everything after work this evening, she left me to get dressed in my black sports shirt and a pair of matching shorts with my name printed on them both. I brushed my teeth in the bathroom, looking once more at the empty shell of a woman I had become before turning around and meeting Janie by the door. She drove us in her car, a cute Calamine pink coloured little motor that Jason bought her a few months into dating and I knew he was making money from somewhere dangerous, rogues aren't wealthy overnight and he didn't fight at the Rogue club as I did.

We headed different ways when parked at the college and I kept my head down, preferring to go unnoticed when I arrived in the gym with the 15 guys on the same sports programme as me

"Ace, nice of you to join us!" My professor, Coach Mills smiled sarcastically and my inner wolf growled. I nodded quickly in response and stood at the back as Mr Mills went over the activities for today. My ears perked up when I heard that I'd be running track and cheered up considerably, dying to get out and run. I was already lacing up my running shoes as everyone milled about getting ready, my hair tied back into a ponytail

"Go on Ace, you can get a head start." Coach Mills nodded towards the door and I smiled slightly, scurrying out of the gym and to the track. I'd been imitating humans for so long I knew to 'stretch off' a bit and adjusted the device wrapped tightly around my arm which kept track of the length of time I'd been active and the distance I'd travelled, taking my time to set it up before jogging around the track, disappearing into my own head. I'd been doing a variation of this programme for longer than anyone I'd ever heard of. 6 years was a long time to be in one college but luckily for me, the administrator lady, Lovette was a werewolf rogue like me and she showed me sympathy when I begged to let me stay on as an extended programme participant. I sucked at other sports and that meant that my 'criteria' for passing this course was to succeed in all of the activities, buying me time until I either actually succeeded or until I had to move on, as most rogues were forced to. Usually, for rogues, the Alpha of the local pack would find out about the rogues becoming too close to humans and threaten them to move on, or be killed in punishment. I had yet to attract that much attention here in Irvine and especially when the Rogue club wasn't even on the Irvine pack's territory. It was unusual for one Alpha to set foot into another Alpha's territory unless there was business to attend to and my attention was quickly drawn to the Alpha from last night, Alpha Lake. His real last name was Alpha Lupus but on business, he was referred to by his territory, just as I had been. I struggled to remember his first name as I sped up to a run around the track, surpassing some of my classmates who were only just starting.