Chapter 16- Sister Sister

Good morning, Upper East Siders! Looks like today will be packed as the royals have a lot to complete before heading off to college.

"Dad... I'm going to NYU today to finalise my dorm and roommates," Astrid said, as she finished up her pancakes, while Austin prepared some more.
"NYU? You decided? That's amazing," Austin said, placing a kiss on her forehead.
Astrid let out a sigh at her father's reaction.
Austin raised his eyebrow at her and said, "were you afraid to tell me?"
Astrid looked down, indicating her answer.
"Ash...you never have to be afraid to tell me anything. I'll be proud of you no matter what."

Astrid left the apartment a little while later with her acceptance letter and other documents. She met up with Siena in the lobby and they waited together to see the Dean for their residence hall.

"So you two want to be roommates?" The tall, stern looking woman said, staring over the lens of her glasses.
"Yes, she's like a sister to me so we will get along well," Siena replied, smiling.
"Well, the dorms we have remaining are for 3 persons. Unless you both," she said, looking at Astrid and Siena, judging them, "want to stay there but pay rent for 3 persons,"
"That's fi-" Siena started but Astrid cut her off.
"We'll like another roommate. Just anyone who's looking for a room. That's fine with us."

Siena looked at Astrid and then back at the dean and nodded her head. "That's fine with me."
"Okay so that's finalised. By the end of the day, you will be placed with another roommate. You can start moving your things in by 4 today," the woman said, signing off some documents and handing it to both Astrid and Siena. "Enjoy your stay at NYU!"

Astrid and Siena headed back off to lunch at a restaurant nearby, where Astrid planned to meet Nate.
The trio enjoyed their lunch before Siena left, to organise her belongings from her Aunt's house.

Nate walked Astrid back to the apartment and they headed up in the elevator, in silence. Once in Astrid's room, they started packing up the remainder of her things into boxes, hoping to move everything in by the nightfall.

After a little over 2 hours, Nate fell back onto Astrid's bed and sighed from exhaustion, while Astrid, noticing this, walked over and lay next to him.
She sighed and Nate looked over at her and wrapped his fingers through hers.

"This is nice you know? Just us and no one else," he said after a few minutes of silence when they were both relaxing, looking at her smiling.
Astrid laughed and repeated, "just us and no one else huh?" as she raised up a little and placed a kiss on his lips, before sliding her feet off the bed, in an attempt to stand up.

Nate however, hand still intertwined with hers pulled her back and kissed her ever more, until Astrid pulled away and fully stood up off the bed.
"I have to continue packing my stuff!" Astrid said playfully while Nate scooted over to the side of the bed closest to her and stood up.
"Hey you started it," he said holding his hands up in defense.
"I'm gonna miss this," Astrid said, looking at Nate with a small sad smile and turned around to return packing her stuff.

Nate walked up behind her and started ticking her stomach and sides, which he knew never failed to make her laugh and feel better. Astrid was now laughing from all the ticking, while Nate was laughing simply because Astrid was laughing.

Sometimes things don't work out but sometimes they might. But not when both are preoccupied, and especially not when the people around them have different intentions.

After a few more hours, Astrid and Nate moved the boxes out into the elevator, and eventually into the lobby where the taxi will pick them up, bound for NYU.

After unloading all the boxes and walking up many flights and stairs, back and forth to ensure that all the boxes arrived, Astrid opened her dorm room using the pair of keys that she had collected earlier, when the paperwork was finalised.

After moving all the boxes into the dorm, Nate said goodbye as he had to go pack up his things so he could move into Chuck's apartment. Astrid promised that she'd stop by later to help him in return for this huge favour.

After entering her room, she started to unpack  her clothes into the closet when she heard the door in the hallway open and she walked back out, greeting an unfamiliar face.

The girl entered, her long dark brown curly hair with red highlights draped down her back and dropped her box onto the floor obviously startled to see someone already in the apartment. She quickly removed her sunglasses, to reveal her hazel eyes, which somehow contrasted yet complimented her hair colour. She stared at Astrid, out of shock neither of them saying a word to each other, until Astrid shook her head and extended her hand.

"Hi! I'm Astrid! I'm guessing you're the third roommate? They didn't tell me who it was going to be so it's all new," Astrid said, hoping to make her feel welcomed.
The other girl quickly stored away her keys into her red flannel jacket, which was layered over a white t shirt and black jeans with biker boots, and shook Astrid's hand. "My name is Micaela but everyone calls me Mish."
The last thing Astrid was expecting, was an accent. The girl introduced herself with a slightly posh British accent that was somehow still easy for Astrid to understand.
Astrid smiled and replied, "okay Mish. Then welcome to the apartment. I got in just a little while ago so I'm unpacking my things right now. Our next roommate Siena should be here in a little while and then maybe we can all get to know each other."

Micaela looked at Astrid with a puzzled look on her face as if she was scanning Astrid's face looking for the tiniest detail to point out. Maybe she realised what she was doing, but she quickly looked away and then said, "you modelled for Waldorf Designs! That's where I know you from!"

Astrid, feeling more comfortable now that she knew why her new roommate what staring at her, replied with a simple yes before they not agreed to get their stuff into their rooms to clear the hallway.

Oh dear. Mish and Ash now meeting for the first time yet things seem weird! Let's see how Siena plays into this. I hope Mish is a good roommate. After all, they are now sisters in arms.

Siena arrived a few hours later with her stuff and moved into the last room on the right. Astrid's room was located to the left, while Mish and Siena's rooms were next to each other on the right. A small living room sat in the centre with a circular sofa and a dining table. The apartment wasn't big enough for a kitchen but it was cozy and each floor had its own kitchen.

At around 8 pm the girls decided to get some dinner, after most of their stuff had been packed away. This gave them the opportunity to get to know each other. Siena and Astrid told Mish about their friendship and how they knew each other, leaving out the drama parts of course.
Mish mentioned that she was 21, born and raised in London, England and that she moved to America a few months ago and then decided to apply to NYU.

A few hours has passed before the girls decided it was time to leave the restaurant and head back to the apartment. Astrid however, excused herself as she remembered her promise to Nate and took her own cab and headed in the opposite direction.

It was early hours of the morning when Nate and Astrid finished packing the last box and Nate offered to drop her home so that it was be easier in the morning to carry the remaining stuff to her dorm.

As Astrid pressed the elevator button to floor 17, she sank back into the wall. Nate looked over to her and held her hand.
"We'll make this work right?" she said barely above a whisper, and Nate only heard since he was looking at her.
"We will try. I know we can," he said as Astrid smiled and sighed.

With the new semester starting in 2 weeks, I think that gives Nate and Astrid just about enough time to wrap up their summer love and be realistic about what's gonna happen. After all, long distance may work but Only if the distance is long enough. From what I heard, NYU and Columbia are still pretty close.