Chapter 4- Another CB returns.

Astrid: meet me a Tiffany's for dinner at 7? I have someone I'd like you to meet.
Nate: I have to talk to you also so I'll be there.

Astrid and Alex both got ready and took a cab to Tiffany's, and waited at their reserved table. Nate arrived a few minutes later, shaking Alex's hand and introducing himself. Alex returned the favour. They ordered and then got involved in a conversation. Astrid left them to bond while she made her way to the ladies' room.

"So tell me about yourself Nate. Future plans?"
"Uhm yeah. I'm applying to Columbia, even though my family wants me to go to Yale. But I think Columbia's where my heart is," Nate replied, softly.
"Columbia's amazing, I can tell you that. You'll love it there, " Alex replied, smiling.
"You go to Columbia? Astrid never mentioned that before," Nate replied, raising his eyebrows.
"I'm a freshman, studying engineering. That's part of the reason why we moved here. I'm guessing she doesn't mention much about her life does she?"
"No, she doesn't. It took 2 months for her to tell me that she lived with her dad alone when her mom died... your mom," Nate said quickly, correcting himself.
Alex raised his head at once, at the mention of his mother, and then gathered the courage. "Yeah. My mother died when I was 7 and Astrid was 6. We've lived with our father ever since," Alex replied, softly.
"Can you tell me more about your life? Her life?  We just officially started dating but I feel like there's so much about her that I don't know. I just wished that she'd confide in me more," Nate blurted, as though that had been on his mind for a while.

Is there a shooting Star nearby? Be careful what you wish for Nathaniel. It may not always be what you had expected.

After fixing her hair and exiting the bathroom, Astrid checked her phone and a new text message popped up. She bumped into someone at the bar, wearing a leather jacket and quickly apologized. He bent down and retrieved her phone, turning around and giving it to her.
"Astrid?" He questioned.
"Carter? What are you doing here?" She replied shocked. She immediately pulled him aside behind a huge indoor plant.

Surprise!! Carter Baizen is back in town. And this time? It's not for a Van Der Woodsen from Manhattan but rather a Van Der Watt from LA.

"We need to talk," Carter muttered quickly staring at her.
"There's nothing to talk about. It can wait. I'm busy," Astrid replied, obviously eager to get out of this conversation.
"Then make time. You and your brother put mine in jail, and you know what I'll release if you don't listen to me," Carter demanded, raising his voice slightly.
"You wouldn't," Astrid said, trying to stand her ground.
"Try me and you'll find out," He replied smirking.
"Fine, meet me at the restaurant on 86th in 20 minutes. We'll talk," she replied.

Astrid walked off, returning to Nate and Alex having a good laugh and enjoying themselves. Nate's smile immediately dropped when he noticed the look on her face.
"Are you okay? What happened?" He asked quickly.
"What? Nothing happened. It's just very hot in here," Astrid replied, fanning her face with her arms, trying to play it cool.
Astrid pretended that she received an urgent text and left quickly apologising to her brother and Nate, not mentioning what's happening. 

Very hot indeed. I wonder what would be so urgent to leave your boyfriend for another guy. Perhaps a cool drink with Carter Baizen would lower the temperature.

20 minutes later, Astrid arrived at the restaurant and took her seat across from Carter at the table.
"You're with Nate Archibald?" Were his first words to her as she sat.
"You know Nate?" Astrid replied curiously.
"Who doesn't know Nate? He's lovely," Carter sarcastically said.
"Why are you here Carter?"
"The little stunt that you pulled... it landed my brother in jail." Carter said, more seriously looking at her.
"Okay...and what do you want me to do? He was selling drugs to underage people at my school," She responded, clearly angry.
"No, he was selling drugs to his clients... he didn't care about who they were or their lives," said Carter.
"I thought you hated him? Wasn't that the whole reason we happened? Because of your hate for him?" Astrid said, raising her eyebrow.
"I do. But he's my brother and the only family that supported me. Until your brother along with you threw him in jail!"  Carter fumed.
"What do you want me to do?" Astrid replied impatiently.
"He has a hearing coming up, to try to shorten his time. Testify at it. Say that you were lying because of a grudge. Say whatever it takes to get him out!" he yelled, attracting the attention from a few persons nearby.
"Fine. But you have to promise never to release that. Ever!" She warned, with a fiery glare in her eyes. "Now is that all? Will you leave from here?"
"End things with Nate." He said, softly.
"What?" She turned to him with a shocked expression. "No!"
He tilted his head. " You're not in any position to be refusing now are you? End it with him and give me a chance," he replied.
"You had your chance and you blew it."
"Please, I apologized for cheating but we weren't exclusive. Besides, I'll love the look on Archibald's face when you break his heart," he pleaded and then laughed at his latter statement.
"You're a psychopath," she replied, getting up from her seat.
"A psychopath who you'll listen to if you don't want these getting released," Carter said sternly, raising an envelope. Astrid scoffed and walked out.

Wanna know what's in the envelope? Guess we'll have to keep you with Carter. One more person in town, coming for Nate's girl. How about we make this easier for Astrid? Photos of her and carter releasing on the same night when she blew off Nate? Priceless. Oh A, I'm just trying to help.

On her way back to her apartment and in a cab, Astrid received a text from Nate stating to meet her at the Empire's penthouse. She redirected the cab and reached there a few minutes later. She took the elevator up and walked in to Nate sitting on the couch staring at his phone. He ignored her presence, until she sat next to him. She put her hand on top of his.
"What's wrong? Why did you want to me meet," she said, innocently.
He showed her the pictures of Carter and her, with today's date.
"You blew me off for Carter Baizen?" Nate bellowed obviously angry but still calm.
" No I didn't. I- He's an old friend who just wanted to talk," Astrid stuttered.
"Carter doesn't have friends. He has enemies and I'm one of them. You met him in LA?"
"Yeah I did. Both him and his brother stayed there and he's in town to visit," she replied, hoping Nate would be understanding.
"He lives here too so there is not a reason for him to visit. One of you is lying and somehow when I saw these pictures I don't think that you're being completely honest," Nate softly replied, setting down his phone and turning towards Astrid.
"Nate I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what's happening. Please believe me when I say that it's better to not involve you in this," Astrid pleaded walking closer to Nate, resting her hands on his shoulders, and kissing Nate on his cheek.
Nate turned his head and unwrapped her arms from around his neck.
"Then maybe you should sort out your priorities and decide who you want to be with. Because if it was me, then you wouldn't even have a choice to make," Nate scoffed and turned his back.
"It's you. You'll always be my choice bu-" Astrid started but he cut her off.
"Leave. Maybe we just need some time apart to figure things out," he replied, looking out the giant glass screen at the traffic downtown.
Astrid walked out the penthouse and took a cab back to her lonely apartment.

See A? I was just trying to help. At least you didn't have to break his heart, but instead both hearts suffered. We love a good love story.

Astrid entered her room and checked her phone, surprised to see a text from Carter.
Carter: just saw the gossip girl blast. Glad it's over with Nate.
She replied at once, annoyed with him.
Astrid: I don't care how you feel. It's not over with Nate and I.
Carter: I'd be careful with how you talk to me. The truth is only one phone call away.
Astrid: Then do it. We're not on talking terms anyways.
After sending that last message, Astrid sent Nate a text hoping he'd reply. However when he didn't, she turned off her phone hoping to avoid the inevitable.

Carter and Nate fighting over A? Or is it the other way around? What's so important that Astrid is listening to Carter? I wonder if Alex knows the truth...After all, he helped in the plot against Carter.