Chapter 7- The Audition

Astrid awoke the next day to the sound of knocking on her door. She groaned and walked over, opening it, to face Maia, with a huge white smile across her face. She entered closing the door behind her.

"Your dad thinks that you should try out for it also," Maia called out to Astrid, as she was getting ready.
"Of course he'll say that but I never really thought much about it. The most I agreed to, was carrying you to the place so you could get casted and fitted," Astrid said, returning from the bathroom and drying her hair.
"That's if I get in. Which is highly unlikely," she replied, playing with her fingers.
Astrid stopped at once and looked at Maia. "Please tell me you're joking. Have you seen yourself model? You're freaking amazing."
"So is that a yes that you'll try out for it too?" Maia replied, raising her eyebrows, innocently.
Astrid laughed and then said, "Definitely not. Let's go."

They left a few minute later and took a Cab, which stopped in front of an enormous, white building with grey accents. They both stepped out, looking nervously at each other, Maia more than Astrid but stepped inside, and into the elevator up to the 17th floor.

They entered to a room filled with people, most of them around 16-25 years old, whom Astrid guessed were trying out for modelling as well. Maia left to go to the desk to sign her name and collect a form, leaving Astrid by herself, who turned around to face a giant 'W' on the wall, illuminated by sky blue lights. Only now realising that the 'W' could mean only one thing in Manhattan fashion industry, she turned around to call out to Alex, bumping into Blair. Blair turned to watch Astrid and laughed pretentiously.

"Oh please don't tell me you're here to model," Blair said, scoffing.
Astrid stayed quietly, staring back at Blair.
"You can't walk in my mother's show. You actually showing up here, might make you think that you stand a chance but you don't. Not against the other girls that are applying. That's because you don't fit in here." Blair relied, annoyed.
Astrid faked a smile, but clenched her jaw obviously angry.
"Since I know that you won't get in, and I'll make sure of that since I'm a consultant for the final list of models, it wouldn't hurt to wish you luck," Blair said innocently, walking off into the next room. Astrid now annoyed, walked up to Maia, who was signing a few documents. She told Maia that she'll audition as a model for the fashion show also and Maia hugged her, pulling out and envelope from her bag and giving it to her.

"What's this?" Astrid asked, opening it.
"The headshots, pictures and everything that is needed before you audition. Your dad, Alex and I put it together just in case you changed your mind," Maia beamed at her. Astrid smiled and made her way to the front desk to collect documents before her audition.

A little after 4 hours, Maia and Astrid both walked out of the huge building, smiling at once another, holding the contracts in their hands, as well as the small gift boxes that they received for making the list of models. They had already gotten fitted and now decided that it was time to get lunch before heading back to the apartment.

All smiles for these young ladies? I wonder what the good news may be... especially since it may not be great news for everyone.

"This is the final list?" Blair asked, as she read through the names on the page that her mother, Eleanor just handed her.
"Yes. The entire committee decided that these girls would represent the company well at the fashion show." Eleanor responded, taking off her glasses and sipping her tea, served by Dorota.
"Why is Astrid Van Der Watt's name on this list? She cannot walk for your show, mother. She does not have what it takes at all!" Blair stormed, slamming the list of names onto the lining table.
"Everyone was pleased with her so they decided to cast her as one of the openers. I still haven't decided for which section, so maybe you can help with that." Eleanor replied, watching her daughter carefully.
"I don't want anything to do with her. She embarrassed me! Choose someone else to open for you. Maybe Serena, since everyone knows her and you'll gain a lot of publicity for it," Blair said, desperately.
"I'm sure that my show will do even better this time around seeing as Astrid is the daughter of Daphne Hayes," Blair paused and her eyes opened wide in shock.
"THE Daphne Hayes? As in the supermodel whose death came as a shock to the industry? The model that had the most Vogue magazine covers? One of MY fashion icons? That's her mother?"
"Yes, which is why I said that my show will do just fine, with a few new faces- No this is not up for debate, we're casting her whether you like it or not," Eleanor cut her off, standing up and walking off. Blair dropped into her chair and signed. There was no way she was going to win this fight against her mother.
"Oh, by the way dear, I sent out invites to all the models for the Boxing Day party later," Eleanor peaked her head inside before leaving again.

Astrid and Maia returned to the apartment and were congratulated by Alex and Austin. Maia asked Alex to accompany her to the party tonight while Astrid went off into her room. She went onto her phone and clicked on Nate's name, about to send him a message saying that she got in, until she remembered what happened and deleted it. She instead messaged Carter the good news, telling him that they were still on for tonight.
Austin knocked and entered, sitting next to his daughter at the edge of her bed.

"I told you you could do it," Austin said in an I-Told-You-So tone.
"Thank you for the encouragement dad, but I was just worried that I wouldn't match up to her standards. It's a lot to live up to you know," Astrid replied softly.
"No one's asking you to be like your mom. You need to go out there and be yourself. Show people that you're her daughter but you're your own person too. All she ever wanted was for her children to be their own people and not just known as 'Daphne Hayes' kids'," Austin replied, putting his arm around Astrid.
"All I've ever wanted was to be accepted for my name and not hers. Finally, this just feels new."
"Did they know that she's your mom?" Austin asked, barely above a whisper.
"Only after my audition; one of them mentioned that I reminded him of her, so I told them."

Austin smiled at this small statement and then the pair looked at the rug in front of them in silence.
"Dad, do you think I could do it? Actually walk the show as a model and not embarrass her legacy?" Astrid squeaked.
"I think that you're an amazing young woman, who can accomplish anything that she puts her mind to. As for your mother's legacy, it can be ruined in the press, but never let it ruin the memories that you have with her," Austin replied, kissing his daughter on her forehead, and getting up.
As he reached the door, he said, "Maia told me about the party tonight. Please leave and return home with Alex; look out for each other."
"Dad?" Astrid called, forcing Austin to take a double step back. He looked at her with raised eyebrows. "Thank you," she added and he nodded acknowledging this.

Astrid hung out with her brother and Maia for a bit until they all left to get ready for the party. Carter came over a little while later, and together they left and headed over to Blair's apartment.

I just love this little group don't you? Maybe they'll even challenge the original royalty.