Chapter 6- Unexpected gifts.

Carter served himself food, and the only conversation at the table, were between Alex, his father and Carter, who frequently glanced at Astrid and Nate. Astrid quickly finished her food and exited the table, into her room, Nate following her shortly after, looking at her sitting on the bed. He walked to the other side of the bed, and sat next to her.

"You know that I don't like him but I don't think we should let him ruin our night. After all, this is my chance to impress your father and it's our night," he said softly, looking at her but she kept staring at the window. "Please Astrid, I'm willing to go out there if you are."
"Fine, but please don't let him get to you," Astrid said, sitting up.

A few minutes later, they returned to the living room, where Alex and Carter were talking, while Austin did the dishes. Astrid glanced over at them both and then left Nate with them, to help her father.

"Why are you here Carter?" Nate asked sternly, sitting in the couch opposite him.
"I'm here to convince someone to return with me," Carter said, watching Astrid.
Nate turned his head at once. "She's not returning with you," Nate replied, only now realizing that Carter and Astrid might be more than friends. "She's my girlfriend and she's not going anywhere with you."
"We'll see about that shall we? You have been dating for what? Almost 2 weeks now?" Carter smirked. "Goodluck with that."

Nate looked over at Alex, who avoided his eyes and returned to his phone. He got up and walked over to the window, looking out as the sky changed colours. Carter followed him soon after, doing the same.

"Were you and Astrid together?" Nate muttered quickly.
Carter laughed. "She didn't say? Why do you think she left LA?"
Nate turned to face Carter. "You're not the reason she left. She may think that she's your friend, but I can see past the lies."
"Then tell me, why didn't she mention me? Why doesn't she talk about her life in LA? Especially to you, considering you're her boyfriend," Carter said, spitefully then added under his breath almost inaudible, "Not for long," while checking his watch.

Nate glared at him, as his phone beeped, in accordance with Alex's and Carter's. He unlocked it and checked the new message.

This just in! Carter Baizen and Astrid Van Der Watt partying and getting a little too close for Nate's comfort? Goodluck getting past this Nate. Seems like you and Carter always have something in common, no matter how hard you try to hate each other.

Nate scrolled up and saw the pics attached, Astrid and Carter, both looking completely wasted, making out on the bar's countertop.

Astrid and her dad walked out after finishing packing up the table, to see all three guys looking at Astrid. Nate's chest pounding hard, Carter with a smile on his face and Alex looking shocked.

"What happened?" Austin asked, drying his hands.
Nate threw his phone over to Astrid who caught it and immediately started to read the post. She looked up at him, horrified and pleading with eyes not to mention anything.

"Looks like that's my cue to leave," Carter said, picking up his jacket, walking towards Astrid and kissing her on the cheek. "It was nice to see you again, Astrid," he beamed, gleefully, walking towards the elevator.
"Dad, maybe you should go see him out," Astrid begged her father, who walked off shortly, joining Carter on the elevator.

Alex stood up and exchanged glances between Nate and Astrid, before walking out slowly and into the guest room, in which he was staying. Nate walked towards Astrid taking his phone from her hand and picking up his coat off of his chair.

"Nate, please wait. I can explain everything. This wasn't how you were supposed to find out," Astrid said, walking after him and holding his hand to pull him back.
"It doesn't seem like I was ever supposed to find out. I don't care who you dated. I just... I needed you to tell me the truth. My whole life, I've never been told the truth and now... even my girlfriend, can't tell me the truth. How am I supposed to trust you?" He said, putting on his coat.
"I was afraid of how you'd react. Carter and I weren't supposed to happen... we were both drunk and things just escalated from there," Astrid said, a tear running down her cheek.
Nate shook his head. "It doesn't matter now. You lied to me and I need time to figure out what I want and who to trust. You can date whoever you want," Nate replied, pressing the elevator button.
"Are you.. are you breaking up with me?" Astrid asked, stepping back from Nate.
"I guess- Uhm yes. We're over," Nate corrected himself and stepping onto the elevator, so that the last image he saw was Astrid's tear-stained face. She turned and walked into her room, ignoring Alex who stepped out of the kitchen to talk to her.