Chapter 12- Prison isn't what you'd expect

Saturday took insanely long to approach as Astrid was grounded and had nothing to do, besides reach her books before the new semester starts. With Carter now back at LA, Nate was the only friend she had here and today was the day when she'll finally see him again... under different circumstances.

She met Nate in front of the Empire (trying to avoid seeing Blair or Chuck) and they took off towards the prison.
After a few minutes of waiting, they finally allowed Howard Archibald ouf of his cell and into the room, so that Nate and Astrid were sitting opposite him at the table. Nate reaches in for a quick hug while Astrid introduced herself.

Howard questioned his son on college choices and made an effort to get to know Astrid. However, she was distracted and had plans of her own.

In the other room, separated by just the fence, Astrid could feel someone staring at her. She turned her head slightly as to not make it obvious, and watched the slightly older brown haired guy. Though she couldn't see his entire face, with the shadows of the fence cast upon it, she was certain that he was familiar.

She excused herself, and walked out towards the guard. She logged her name in to visit another prisoner and the guards approved, sending the message for him to be brought out into another room.

She waited on a chair on one side of the table, nervous as she wasn't really sure what she was getting herself into. The well built, young man walked out, smirking before taking his seat opposite her.

"It's been a while. I thought you'd never visit me!" He replied excitedly, as if waiting to say those words.
"Parker?" Astrid replied, not believing it was him. "Didn't think you'd want me to visit... seeing as I'm partially responsible for you being her, and I'm your brother's ex."
Parker let out a chuckle. "Don't you mean fake ex?"
Astrid coughed at once and looked at Parker in disbelief.
"You didn't think I knew did you?" He replied, smiling. "That the only reason you and him pretended to be together was so that he could get back at me and make me mad, because he knew how much I disliked you? Or the part where you only agreed to it so that you could save your best friend the heartache of finding out that Carter didn't like her back? Except that you both had too much to drink that you ended up making out with each other, right in front of her, at her birthday party, jeopardising your friendship. I guess we all have our secrets," Parker said, resting his hands onto the table.

"Why did you pretend to believe it?"
"Sometimes you need to let people think that they are getting away with things, so that when it backfires you can enjoy it even more."
"You've literally gone insane in here," Astrid said, getting up to leave.
"My brother told me that I'm having a trial in June and that he could release me on parole. He tells me that you're testifying to say that you were mistaken and the drugs the girls had weren't from me," Parker called out, causing Astrid to turn around.
"Maybe I will be testifying. But I'm not lying on the stands," Astrid said, returning back to her chair.
"Oh trust me, I don't want you to lie. I want you to tell the whole truth as it was," Parker gritted through his teeth.
"What's in it for you?"
"You think I want to get out of here just so that I'd have to babysit my little brother? Frankly, I'm enjoying my time away from him," Parker replied.
Astrid narrowed her eyes at Parker and then walked off towards the door.
"I know you're lying but I couldn't care less about what happens to you after the trial," Astrid said, as she closed the door behind her and met Nate around the corner, standing against the wall waiting for her.

"You disappeared and I didn't know where so I just waited," Nate sighed.
"I just had to use the washroom. That's it," Astrid said with a smile.
"I know you're grounded, but would you like to go for donuts before I drop you off?"
"I promised my dad that I'll be home by 5. So you have almost an hour. Let's go," Astrid chuckled.

Looks like we all have secrets that need to stay hidden... for our sakes and others.

When Astrid returned home, there was no one to greet her. Of course she wouldn't know if Austin went out because she didn't have her phone but as she went to the kitchen to get some water, she noticed the note on the granite countertop.

"I'll be back later tonight. Probably around 8. There's pizza in the fridge or you can order what you want."
-Austin

She sighed and then took out the pizza to get it reheated in the oven and sat on the sofa, with her laptop, getting started on some assignments when the phone rang.

Thinking it was her dad calling, she rushed over and answered it.

"Good day. Is this the Van Der Watt's residence?" A man's voice echoed on the other side of the phone.
"Yes it is. What's the problem?" Astrid replied, confused.
"I'm just calling to say that your rent is 2 months overdue, and if you don't pay for January, we'll have no choice but to evict you and take it back," the deep voice said.
"That can't be right. I dropped off the payment for December," Astrid replied, confused, but certain that she dropped it off at the correct place.
"There must be some misunderstanding. We haven't received payment since November and the payments for both September and October were mailed to us," the man's voice softened a little as he sounded confused.
"I'm sorry but are you talking about the Van Der Watt's residence in LA?" Astrid said, sounding crazy but it was worth a shot.
"Yes I am. It's procedure to call to inform the persons before we kick them out."
"Yeah. Thanks for the notice," Astrid said quickly, her heart racing as she hung up the phone.

Why did they still pay for the LA condo? Austin promised that he had given it up when they moved to Manhattan. Yet now, they were struggling to pay for it?

Astrid called her brother at once, and he picked up a few seconds later, greeting her with his tired voice. She mentioned that they still paid for LA condo and asked him if he knew why to which he responded that he had no idea what was going on.

Debating whether or not to mention this to her father, she waited until he returned back to the apartment, to meet her sitting on the sofa, her legs crossed in front of her, as she held a few envelopes in her hand.

Austin looked at her, confused as he walked out of the elevator and took the enveloped from her hand and then flopped down next to her, with his head in his hands.

Looks like Astrid isn't the only Van Der Watt that's involved in drama.