Chapter 13- Confessions

Austin took the bills and notices from her hand after a few minutes of silence and set them on the table in the centre of the living room.

"Why do you still have our old house?" Astrid asked softly, looking at her father.
Austin closer his eyes and shook his head slightly. "It's the last place we were a family together. I just wanted to keep it for memories sake, and in case you or your brother was going to return to LA."
"Maybe we will or maybe we won't. Dad I can help you get the money if you want. I'll give you what I earned from Eleanor's show if it means this much to you," Astrid replied, trying not to sound too harsh.
"No you don't have to do that. I'm supposed to be paying for it. I got a job offer and they're paying me a lot for it, which means that I could  keep the apartment and still have enough to take care of us," he replied, getting up and looking out the window, his back turned to his daughter.
"At least rent the apartment, to people that will actually take care of it for the time being. Besides, what's this big project about?"
"Bart Bass is constructing a new building. I have to design some things for it."

Astrid immediately rose from her seat and exclaimed, "You can't take that job. You can find others out there but please don't take it."
Austin turned around and looked at his daughter confused. "I know. It's Bart Bass and no matter how much I dislike him and his kind, he's still offering to pay a lot and we need the money."
"Fine. Just... be careful okay? I- uh- I'll be in my room," Astrid said quickly before storming away into her room.

Astrid's 18th birthday passed quietly, as she was still very much grounded, but Alex came over for the weekend to celebrate with her. Holly, who was invited by Austin, kept to him as the siblings were avoiding her at all costs, casting dirty stares at her. After much pleading and consideration, Austin allowed Nate to come over to for Astrid's birthday since he had broken up with Lola and needed company.

Oh A. When will you learn that Nate and Lola was nothing more than an act? It's not my place to say though. You'll learn more things about the Upper East Siders the longer you stay.

The next five months passed by faster than Astrid would've imagined. Her last year of senior, in a different environment and she ended it off with no friends, besides Nate.
Her college applications were already sent in although not fully decided the path she wanted to take as yet. Whenever anyone questioned her on her choices, she'd tell them to wait and see which one she accepts.

Looks like the only thing you'll have to accept is that confessions may make things worse. Or maybe for some, better.

Astrid got dressed, in a formal looking business suit and headed off, to the courthouse, while her father was away at work, on the 9th day of June.

She arrived at the courthouse, just half an hour before the hearing started and sat outside on the bench in the hall, waiting patiently to see either Carter or Parker, whoever came first. However, the person she least expected was the first one who caught her eye as he sad besides her, shocked and confused as to why she was here.

"Why are you here? Please tell me that you're not testifying?"
"Actually I am. I could say the same for you. Why are you called to testify?" Astrid replied, narrowing her eyes.
"I may have mentioned something to carter and I promised him that I'll testify, so here I am," Alex responded. "Does dad know you're here?"
Astrid laughed, "I think the last thing he needs right now is to know that his kids are at court to testify. Plus he has a lot going on with Bart Bass and holly," Astrid added in, rolling her eyes.
"We'll get rid of her before anything happens, don't worry."

After that they were called into the courtroom and took their seats until it was time to go onto the stands.
Parker sat at the table in front of the room, which was smaller than the usual courtrooms, alongside his attorney. Carter said in the front row, right behind him and the siblings sat 3 rows behind Carter.