Chapter 17- Have A Holly Jolly Stay

It was the weekend before the new semester starts, when the siblings would be off to college and it's the time we've waited long enough for. Astrid and Alex walked back from Sunday brunch with Austin, both of them nervous about telling their father what they overheard on New Years.

Astrid and Alex met for brunch, after each leaving their dorms and then headed back to their home. It was a very bright but shady Sunday, with only a few beams of sunlight passing through the clouds.

They walked in, to the scent of something sweet and soon enough found out that it was strawberry waffles with whipped cream that was laid out on the granite island countertop.

Astrid laid her bag down on the couch and walked into the kitchen, watching as more waffles were in the waffle maker. She looked around but there was no sign of her dad anywhere.

"Dad?" She called out, taking out the waffles, adding it to the pile and placing more of the batter onto the waffles maker.

"I'm here!" Someone called back as he rushed down the few stairs, with a big smile on his face and into the kitchen to hug his children.

"You guys have only been gone for a few days and I missed you already!" He says, while messing up Alex's hair, and kissing Astrid on her forehead.

"Why are you making so much waffles?" Alex asked, shoving one into his mouth.

"Just a little brunch. Plus I wasn't planning on going out all day and you know what they say, you can have breakfast for any meal of the day!" He says, taking out the waffles from the maker and putting whipped cream and strawberries onto them.

"Yeah...I'm not quite sure that's the saying dad," Astrid said, as she accepted the plate he just prepared.

"Why are you guys here? Come to see the old man before you leave for college?" He said sitting in the middle of them on the stools.

"Yeah...something like that. We actually have something to tell you," Alex replied, looking nervously at his sister.

"Great! Because I have news too!" He announced, and their expressions changed to that of surprise.

"What is it?" Astrid asked with a little fear in her voice.

"We can talk after you finish your meals and then I can drop you guys off if you want."

Finally they had a few bites of the waffles, neither of them hungry since they just had brunch, but both of them accepted it since it would be the last meal from their dad for a while. Astrid sat next to Alex who sighed from exhaustion, as the sun was in its prime. It was their last day at this apartment before they headed off to their colleges: NYU and Columbia respectively. As per their plan before, they needed to tell their father about Holly and her plans.

As Austin finished up washing, he sat down on the sofa opposite them, as Alex turned off the TV from one of their favourite cartoons: Tom and Jerry. Their eyes peeled off the screen and looked towards their father who relaxed opposite them.

"Well, what is it?" Austin asked, passing his hand through his slightly longer brown hair.

Astrid looked at Alex who shook his head and sighed.

"We need to talk to you about Holly."

Austin paused and looked at his daughter who just spoke. He smiled a little and then replied, "great! Cause that's what we want to talk to you about too."

"We?" Alex asked leaning forward, getting more on edge.

"Look Dad, I know we said we were happy for you and we are. But I don't think that Holly is the right person for you," Astrid said, leaning forward, now on edge.