Chapter 3

I looked around at the students' wide eyes. I nodded at Reese, Dustin and Jane. The people around me were still whispering while some ran up to Noah, bombarding him with questions. Noah's eyes moved toward me, a smirk adorning his face. He kept his eyes on me, responding to whatever the people were saying.

"What do you think they are talking about?" Jane asked. Reese and Dustin gave her blank looks, while I just shrugged.

"I am pretty sure I'm the subject of their discussion." Jane looked at me apologetically.

The people surrounding Noah turned to look at me, their eyes disbelieving. Noah winked at me. Two girls walked up to the table I was sitting at. "Were you really homeless?" One of them said, her eyes flashing between me and Noah. "Did Mrs. Webb really find you eating scraps behind Jonny's Pizzeria?" I looked at Noah, his eyes flashing with an emotion I couldn't decipher within the distance between us.

Whispers filled the room. "I bet she broke into their house one night and begged to stay with them."

"I wonder what it's like to live behind a pizza place."

"Maybe she was on drugs."

"Maybe her pimp kicked her out."

"She does look like a prostitute."

"How much do you think she charges?"

"Probably not much with the way she dresses!"

Tears welled in my eyes at the unbelievable rumors that have already begun to spread. I wanted to come to this school and be invisible. I stood and ran from the cafeteria, leaving my things behind.

Right when I opened the doors, I ran into Alex. He looked at me with a worried and confused expression on his face, but I only continued down the hallway. I reached one of the bathrooms Alex showed me this morning and sat down on the tiled floor of the handicap stall.

This is so how I wanted to spend my first day.

*~*~*~*

I spent the rest of lunch in the bathroom. My anxiety of the last half of the day only grew as the bell rang. Standing fringe stall, I made my way out into the hallway. My next class was on the other end of the school according to the map.

"Gabby!" I heard my name and turned to see Alex jogging toward me. "Gabby! I've been looking for you since you ran past me earlier. What happened?" His concerned face made my insides churn.

"Just your everyday high school rumors spreading." I joked. I offered a small smile to show I'm fine but he didn't return it so I dropped mine and continued in the direction of my next class.

"Did Noah do something?" It's probably not a good thing that Noah's own brother suspects him before anyone else.

"Well, he told the school your mom found me behind Jonny's Pizzeria. That I was homeless. They then twisted it around to how I'm a prostitute." He looked really sympathetic. "So you tell me." I gave a sarcastic smile.

"I'm sorry, Gabby."

"It doesn't matter. I gotta get to class. See you later." I walked away, entering my class right before the bell rang.

*~*~*~*

Alex drove the twins and I home after school. I went straight up to my room and closed the door, taking a deep breath.

Most of my afternoon classes were with Reese, as well as one with Dustin. The rumors pretty much multiplied, saying that I have a child and the Webbs are housing me for charity.

I did the homework my teachers assigned and decided to explore a little. I made it to the bottom of the winding staircase before I heard my name.

"Gabby! I haven't seen you in forever!" I turned toward Chase, not being able to fight the small smile I had at the sight of him. He really was adorable. "Come play Xbox with me! Please!"

"Only one game." I new I was lying, he was too adorable to say no to.

Chase began to drag me down a hallway I hadn't noticed before. He opened a door and I was entranced by the large red bean bags and giant flat screen that covered a third of the wall. There were two bookcases lining the walls beside the tv, pretty much every game you could think of lining each shelf. There was pretty much each gaming system on the stand under the tv.

Chase ran to the bookcase on the left wall, grabbing one of the green cases, and sliding the disc into the Xbox. He handed me a wireless controller and flew down into one of the bean bags. I sat on the other and watched the title screen for Mario Cart appear.

"I'm gonna kick your butt at this one, Gabby! I've beaten Alex AND Noah at this game. Every. Time." I giggled at his enthusiasm.

"I think I can take you on this one, Chase. I've played this game before, too." His eyes widened from the challenge, his excitement noticeably growing.

"You're on!"

Two hours later the buzzer on the wall rang through the room, Diane's voice calling everyone for dinner. My eyes were burning slightly from staring at the screen so long.

"We have to play after dinner! We are tied and need to play to see who the bestest racer is!" Chase exclaimed as he grabbed my hand, dragging me to the dining room.

"I always win, Chase. As you said earlier, 'I'm gonna kick your butt on this game!' " I sat down in the chair next to Chase, my smile huge. He stuck his tongue out in response.

"You're in my seat." I heard from above me and looked up to see Noah staring down at me.

"I don't see your name on it." I reiterate, my irritation growing at the sight of him.

"I don't care. I've sat here every day of my life so move." I tap my chin, pretending to think.

"Nah, I'm good, this seat is pretty comfortable."

The other boys have arrived at the table watching Noah and I's encounter with trepidation. "Just because you move into my house, doesn't mean things change." He retorts, his irritation growing as well. "Now, get out of my seat." I ignore him as Diane and Clay appear at the dining room entrance.

"Just sit in another seat, Noah, it hardly matters." Diane says, rolling her eyes. Clay sits at the head of the table, Diane sitting at his side. The boys shovel food onto their plates, Noah not removing his glare from me.

My first full day in this place and not only am I the center of the school rumor mill, but one of the guys I live with, hates me. I have a feeling this is only the beginning.