Chapter 23

Diane was not happy when I told her about my suspension. I got grounded for two weeks, including this week makes it three.

I was sad that I couldn't go on the date with Alex, but I made my choice. Now I have to suffer the consequences.

A knock on my door silenced my thoughts. Alex walked in, a sad expression on his face. "I heard about you getting grounded." He trailed off, sitting next to where I lay on the bed. I nodded. "I guess that means we have to cancel our date." He frowned deeply, looking at me.

"I wish we didn't have to, and I wish I didn't get suspended. I'm sorry, Alex." I sighed, sitting up. I stood, motioning for a hug. He stood as well, wrapping his arms around my back. I wrapped mine around his neck.

"It's ok, Gabby, I get why you did it. I'm glad you kicked her ass again." He grinned, pulling back. I grinned back. "I'm gonna go get some stuff done, ok? I'll talk to you in a bit?" I nodded. He turned to walk out of the room. He stopped short, turned back to me and leaned down. He pecked my cheek, causing my face to burn. He smiled widely, turning and walking away.

*~*~*~*

The next day, I sat in my room. It was nice to sleep in, but I'm majorly bored. I listened to music for a good hour, read a little of a book and ate food. I looked at my alarm clock, the time read 10 o'clock. I groaned. I woke up at 8.

I stood from my bed, leaving the room. Clay and Diane were at work, all of the boys were at school. I walked down the stairs, heading towards the kitchen. I heard rattling through the door, my curiosity piking. Fear of a burglar, I tip-toed to the coat closet. I grabbed the wooden bat from inside, cocking it in the air. I creeped to the door, preparing to catch the burglar. In one swift- but awkwardly arranged- move, I kicked the door open, jumping into the kitchen. I let out a battle cry, swinging the bat around in the air. I kept my eyes closed, swinging.

"Shit!" I heard from across the room. I stopped swinging, peeking through one of my eyelids. I saw a man standing by the counter, holding his chest. I opened my eyes, lowering the bat. The man narrowed his eyes at me. "Who the hell are you?" He asked, curiosity lacing his tone.

"Who are you?" I countered. He stepped closer to me, I took two steps away from him.

"I'm Eric." He stated matter-of-factly. "Who are you and why are you waving around a bat like a crazy woman?" I narrowed my eyes.

"I'm Gabby. Why are you in my house?" He looked at me confusedly.

"This is my house." He said.

"I've been here for four months, I think I would've seen you around." I said, amused.

He put his hand in his pocket, pulling something out. I held the bat in the air, preparing to swing. He held his phone and free hand in the air in a surrender position. I lowered the bat.

"Mom! Who the hell is this girl and why is she swinging a bat around in duck pajamas?" I looked down at my clothes, my face burning. "Who is she?... Well, why?.... Why didn't you tell me?... I do too!... Ugh, fine, mom.... Yeah, love you too." He hung up, putting his phone back in his pocket. "Well, you're not a robber, so I guess you'll be fine to stay." He sighed. I looked at him incredulously.

"I can stay if I want to! You are not the boss of me." I sassed. He laughed, opening the fridge. He pulled out a soda, cracked it open, and chugged a little.

"Why are you home? Shouldn't you be in school?" I scoffed.

"Would if I could, but I can't so I shan't." I replied. He looked at me weirdly.

"Why can't you?"

"Suspended." I pointed to my head.

"How did you manage that? you said you've only been here for four months."

"I kicked some bitches ass." I said casually. He laughed. "By the way, who are you?"

"I told you I'm Eric. I'm the oldest of the eight Webb boys." He shrugged. I nodded.

"Well, I'm going to go back to my room and proceed in solitude." I turned, leaving the room. I put the bat back, heading up the stairs. I had kind of forgotten that there was another Webb boy.

*~*~*~*

The boys got home ten minutes ago and the house was already filled with noise. They were having a mini reunion in their kitchen. I stayed in my room while it occurred.

Alex had come by my room to talk, but then he found out his brother was here and ran away.

"Gabby?" I heard a knock on my door. I looked up from my book, glancing at the door. Noah stood there, a sheepish look on his face.

"What do you want, Noah?" I went back to looking at my book, not really reading.

"I came to talk to you." He stated, walking towards my bed. "I spoke with Laura today. I had to go by her house, but I spoke with her." I felt a pang in my stomach of a feeling that was foreign to me.

"And?" I asked, curious to what happened.

"I asked her- well, forced her to tell me- who told her about the fire. She told me it was someone, but she wouldn't tell me who it was. She started to talk about other things and I had to pull her back to the topic. She told me it was Angela who told her." He looked at me, his face sternly serious. I stared at him for a minute. His expression didn't waver.

Then, I did something completely uncalled for in the situation- I laughed.

*~*~*~*

Hello! It feels like it's been so long since I've talked to yall.

I hit 2k reads!!! I screamed when I saw it and my mom looked at me like I was some crazy person. I love you guys so much!

Well, here's an update to commemorate 2k reads! Enjoy!

Until next time my little bundles!

Vote. Comment. Share.