Chapter 5

"I can't believe you did that!" I was laughing so hard with no sound was coming out.

"I did. Jason didn't speak to me for, like, two weeks!" James grabbed the water in front of him, taking a drink.

We were in his painting room, eating lunch. I didn't want to be in the room with Noah after what happened on Thursday in my room. It's been a couple weeks since I moved here and I've grown closer to James. Noah is still being obnoxious and the rumors at school have developed to complete lies. Worse than before.

Reese and Jane and Dustin have been really cool about everything, even the rumor about a supposed sex-square involving the four of us.

Alex has been extra-friendly lately. I don't have a clue why but he finds any excuse to talk to me, it seems. I guess it's nice.

I was brought out of my thoughts by James continuing his stories about when he was little and liked to torment Jason. Now, as he says, the tables turned. A knock on the door vaulted our laughter. Alex poked his head in, followed by Chase above his.

"James!" Chase exclaimed. "Mommy needs you!" Alex nodded with a smile, Chase climbing from his shoulders. James stood, smiled at me, and walked out of the room.

"Come on, Gabby, I don't think Chase should be in here." Alex chuckled, leading Chase out of the room. "So how have you been lately? I know the rumors have gotten to be a bit much, but they don't seem to bother you." He said walking next to me.

"Let's go outside, Gabby!" Chase said, excitedly. I nodded to him and he ran to the door. Alex went with us, walking around the backyard.

"I've been ok, I guess. Still getting used to things." I smiled slightly at Alex and looked out at the expansive backyard. Chase was already on the swings, kicking his feet rapidly.

"That's good that you're adjusting. It must be pretty hard, huh?" He stepped closer to me as we walked, his body heat radiating from his arm.

I nodded and headed toward the swings just as Chase ran for the slide. I sat and swayed, Alex doing the same. Chase's enthusiasm made me smile slightly.

"You should smile more. It looks good on you." Alex said, his face set in a serious expression.

My smile grew. "Thank you, Alex." He smiled back at me and stood up. He walked behind me and started pushing. "Don't go too high, Alex!" I exclaimed as he pushed me harder.

The swing started to get farther from the ground each time he pushed me and I was laughing with glee. The wind in my hair brought memories back from my childhood. Alex was laughing from the ground, pure joy in his handsome features. The swing came to a stop and I twisted to look at him. He stared at me intently, his face serious. I was still smiling and my heart was racing from the experience. Alex leaned a little closer to me, his minty breath fanning my face.

"You're really beautiful, Gabby." His hand went to my cheek, my heart racing more than before. His lips were mere centimeters from touching mine, my eyes fluttering closed just as his did.

Before our mouths connected, though, "Alex!" Noah yelled, his expression blank. "Dad wants you." He said blankly.

Alex sighed, pulling away completely. "Kay, man." He walked away, pausing beside Noah. He whispered something to him before continuing away. He turned his head back and looked at me sadly. Noah approached me.

"Sleeping with my brother now are you? Didn't think you would live up to the rumors. Guess I've been proven wrong." He smirked, sitting on the swing beside me. I gaped at him.

"What's your problem, Noah? Ever since I got here, you've been a complete wanker to me! What did I ever do to you!" I stood from the swing, my blood pumping.

"I don't have a problem. You just show up at my house with no explanation. For all I know you could've been there to steal something or murder us!" He stood, too, standing in front of me.

"It's like you've made it your soul purpose since I got here to make me miserable! You have everybody at school calling me a prostitute and a mother! I'm not either of those! You can't make up lies about somebody because you let your anger get the best of you before you knew the story!" My breathing was rapid. I'm tired of his crap.

"I didn't let my anger get the best of me! And who knows, maybe those rumors weren't lies! From your actions moments ago, it seems like you could be a prostitute. How much did Alex pay for that kiss, Gabriella? Hope it wasn't much, 'cause that was pitiful." He stepped closer to me, our bodies almost touching.

I glared even harder. "Give it up, Noah. You're a pathetic, little boy who has nothing better to do than to pick on some girl. If you stoop as low as to bully a girl, then you are nothing but scum! You need a new source of entertainment because the one you have now is utterly pathe-" I was cut off when he leaned forward, colliding his lips with mine. I almost gave in, but I know what he's doing. I shoved him away. "What is wrong with you?" I shouted. I stormed past him toward the house.

Before I passed Noah, he grabbed my arm, halting me. "You're hot when you're angry, Gabriella." He smirked at me as I ripped my arm from his grip. I turned to him, my anger flaring. I reached my hand out, striking his cheek with my palm.

"Get a life, Noah." I walked away from him, into the house. In the safety of my room, I slid down the door to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest. A tear fell down my cheek.

"Why me?" I whispered to nobody.

*~*~*~*~*

Hey guys! This is probably the fastest I've updated since I started the book. Thought I'd be a nice little writer and update for you guys. Let me know what you think!