chapter one

Great.

They were closed.

It was 9:50 pm and they were closed, even though it said very clearly on the front of the store that they closed at 10 pm.

False fucking advertisement.

All I needed was a loaf of bread. It would have taken me two minutes.

No matter. There was another store that was a five-minute drive away, and if that one was closed too, I would break in, get my bread, and then burn it down.

Kidding. Kind of.

It was light inside and the doors were still open. Looks like I didn't have to commit arson tonight.

It was quiet inside and all I could hear was the low hums coming from the fridge aisle, but I was in the bread aisle, where I needed to be.

I grabbed what I needed. It was the last one. I always wondered whether they restocked in the evening or the morning.

Today was not my day, apparently. The stupid fucking self-checkout machine was not scanning my stupid fucking bread. It kept beeping over and over again but scanning absolutely nothing.

"Bring it here."

My attention is drawn to a woman behind the till who had a hand stretched out to take my bread. I paused for a moment before stepping towards her and handing it to her with a smile which she returned.

Beautiful.

I looked her up and down, studying her perfect features, her perfect face, within a five second time span. It was over all too soon.

"That's 2000 won, please."

Fuck, I should have filled up ten baskets just so I could watch her pretty face whilst she scanned each and every item. There was still time.

"Come on ma'am. Store's closing soon."

The security spoke from near the doors of the small convenience store.

We should crush his throat for crushing our dreams.

I handed the pretty woman the money. Name. I needed her name, in my fixation on her face I almost forgot to study the rest of her.

There her name was, on her name tag on the front of her uniform, in bold capitals.

Jennie.

A name was all I needed.

A name could unlock everything.

"Thank you, enjoy your night," I told her.

Because I definitely would.

She smiled at me one last time before I left the store.

"Jennie," I said out loud in my car. "Jennie, Jennie, Jennie."

I stayed there, in the car park, waiting for her to come out. I just had to see her one last time.

It was twenty minutes later when she finally came out and it was dark, so I barely saw her face, but it didn't matter.

I would be seeing her again.

It was meant to be.

Why else would the first store have been closed early?

Why else would the self-checkout machine have been out of order?

Fate.

It was fate. I was supposed to meet her. There was no doubt in my head about that, and I would be meeting her again.

Very soon.

Game on.