chapter eighteen

As I lay with Lisa's head on my chest, listening to her soft snores, I wonder if she knows how beautiful she is.

I imagine Lisa knew what she was; a sick, cold-blooded monster, but she is so much more than that. I also imagine that Lisa likes to think of herself as quite tough; a protector to me and someone who didn't cry often.

But I saw through it all. Underneath all that, underneath the skin of the monster, Lisa was just a big softie.

Though her face for most of the time was expressionless, her eyes were always frowning. There was a deep sadness in her that only I saw. I wanted nothing more than for her to willingly open up to me. I wanted her to know that she didn't have to hide her true self from me, that she could be who she is without worrying that it would make me reject her. I couldn't tell her this though. Not without revealing that I already knew that the person she had been with me wasn't her true self.

Even the thought of her discovering my bad behaviour made me shudder in fear.

She was becoming more comfortable with being vulnerable with me and letting me see her softer side, the side that craved being held and nurtured. The other side of her mommy issues, if you will. And in turn, I got to express the other side of mine. Except Lisa never called me mommy.

She looked so innocent. Her thick bangs, doe brown eyes, soft skin. She was so pretty. When you imagine a monster or a killer, you don't imagine a 5"6 girl who weighed around 100 pounds. I knew what Lisa was, and I never tried to deny it, but really, was it so bad?

So what if she killed now and then, and so what if she had some pretty dark thoughts? She was trying her best. That's all we could ask of anyone really.

I miss her. She's been sleeping a couple of hours now and I think it's time she wakes up and gives me some attention. We could even have sex if she wanted. Maybe I could wake her up with that.

But my favourite way to wake her up was by kissing her lips. They're pink and soft and slightly open. I loved it when they closed as soon as I pressed mine against them. Then Lisa would stir and realise what was happening. She never hesitated to start kissing me back.

So that's what I did. She wakes and we make out for however long before she pulls back and looks at me. She's thinking but I have no idea what she's going to say.

"I want you to meet my friend."

My eyebrows raise but I don't allow my eyes to widen. I'm shocked, but she can't know how shocked.

"I thought I was your only friend."

She chuckles and presses her face against my neck. I know she's breathing my smell in; it's something she likes to do often.

"She's an old friend."

"She? Should I be jealous?"

"No." She laughs again. "She's just a friend."

I was jealous though, and angry. I was going to have to pull off another flawless performance in front of Lisa's friend. This would be harder considering how much I wanted to kill her. It would have been easier if I didn't know that this friend was trying to poison Lisa against me.

"Which friend?" I kiss the top of her head. She looks up so we're facing each other now.

"Her name is Jisoo. She's an old friend from years ago."

"How come you've never told me about her?"

"She recently came to town. She's important to me, and so are you, so I want you both to meet."

I hoped she wasn't too important. But considering Jisoo was still alive, I knew she was.

Well, either I could convince Jisoo that I was as innocent as Lisa thought I was, or she would have to go. Lisa would get over her with time anyway; I am the only person she needs.