chapter four

For the next few days, I kept close to Jennie, but not too close. On Thursday evening, I paid her another visit so I could see her up close again, but it was on Saturday when I discovered something.

Something so disgusting I almost snatched her away then and there.

It was late afternoon and Jennie had just been to a library. I was following her into the city centre when she entered a small restaurant. I watched carefully from across the street. She sat at a table that already had someone there, a dark-haired man.

I watched her as she leaned down and pecked him on the lips.

Who the fuck is-

WHO THE FUCK IS THAT?

No.

This can't be happening.

I felt sick to my stomach as I watched her sit down next to him.

KILL HIM! KILL HIM NOW!

Oh, I would be killing him. I had no choice, he had to die.

Of course she couldn't have been single. Just my luck! And to top it off, she was dating a man!

No matter. I would do what I had to do.

I couldn't leave Jennie alone any longer.

No more watching from a distance. One way or another, Jennie would know who I am, and soon enough, she would know who she really belongs to.

+

I saw her again on Tuesday evening of course, except this time she needed my help.

Jennie came out of the store five minutes after I did, she was standing in the almost empty car park, she looked so lost.

I should get out and ask her if she's okay.

A random stranger approaching her in the dark? Yeah, of course, she'll come running into our arms. Or more likely, she'll think you're a psycho freak (which you are) and you'll scare her off.

But she needs my help. It'll be fine. I'll just ask if she's okay.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I spoke in the nicest way I was capable of as I called out to her whilst I got out of my car.

"Yeah, I'm just waiting for the next bus. It's running a little late, I think."

The bus stop was about twenty steps from the car park, seemed she wanted to wait here because it was safer. Smart girl.

I got a little closer, she had her arms wrapped tight around her body and I could see how she was shivering. My poor baby.

"It's pretty dark. It's not really safe for you to be waiting here at this time."

"Yeah, I know, but it should be here any minute."

I was three steps away from her now.

"I could give you a lift instead if you want. I don't mind."

I could tell by her face she was sceptical.

"Or you could at least wait in my car where it's warmer, you're shivering."

I gave her my most innocent smile, which had proved to be a charmer many times before. It worked.

"Okay, sure. I'll wait in your car. Mostly because I'm pretty sure I can't feel my toes anymore."

I laughed with her then she followed me to my car. I made quick work to turn the heaters on for her, which she seemed to appreciate.

"Oh, thank you, it's much nicer in here."