chapter five

Getting home last night, I could barely fall asleep. Finally, I was getting closer to Jennie. Honestly, I thought it would take longer, but the way she just offered herself up like that and made plans with me - yeah, it was definitely meant to be.

I got up early enough so I could watch Jennie go to her yoga class, then I waited around until she was finished. I recognised she was with her blonde friend again. I really hoped she wouldn't be a problem.

They drove to a coffee shop. I had brought my car this time and so managed to keep up with them, at a safe distance, of course. It was 2 pm by the time Jennie was dropped off home.

I contemplated driving after her blonde friend. It could be useful to know more about her, but then I decided to leave it for another day; today was all about Jennie.

I waited at the end of her street for her to text me to come to pick her up, it was 14:45 when she did so.

unknown number: hi lisa, it's jennie! Are you still okay to come with me today?

I waited five minutes before replying.

me: hi jennie, yes i am. when do you want me to pick you up?

jennie: is 15:30 okay for you?

me: i'll see you then.

I had over thirty minutes to kill before I could drive down the street and tell Jennie I was here. I kept a close eye in the direction of her house the whole time, in case she decided to walk up the street and I had to make a quick getaway.

15:35 is when I drove down and texted her to let her know I was there. She came out two minutes later.

I made sure to smile at her when she got in the car.

"Hi," she greeted me as she sat down.

"Hi, Jennie."

"Thank you again for coming with me."

"Thank you for inviting me."

"I don't usually make plans with strangers as soon as I meet them, just so you know, but you seem really nice, and I'm really grateful for you driving me home last night. I could have been stranded for a while if it wasn't for you."

"Well, I'm glad that you don't make a habit of inviting strangers and showing them where you live, and I was happy to help you. Like I said yesterday, it's not safe for a woman to be by herself so late at night, so it's important we stick together."

"You're right. I'm glad you approached me and not some psychopath."

"Exactly. So, where are we going?"

"Wedding shopping. I have the address for the shop here."

Wedding shopping? Whose wedding? Did you check for a ring?

I scanned her hands, no ring. I would have noticed something like an engagement ring.

"Wedding shopping? Not your wedding, right?" I asked whilst typing in the address. I heard her laugh.

"No, not mine. I'm too young yet. It's my boyfriend's sister's wedding."

Boyfriend? That boy with the ratty hair? Why haven't we killed him yet?

"How long have you been dating?"

"Around six months now. I figure that's an okay time to be going to such big family events. What do you think?"

I looked at her stone-cold for a moment.

What do I think? I think you should stop wasting your time with him and dump his sorry ass. Or if you don't have it in you to dump him, let me know, I'll handle it for you. You'd never even hear from him again. In a months time, you wouldn't remember what he looked like and in a years time, you wouldn't even remember his name.