chapter twenty-nine

It seemed things were better now. Not how they used to be, but still, better. Even the voice was letting up on Jennie, although, it did occasionally doubt her and declare that she still couldn't be trusted.

But Jennie lived in my house, slept in my bed, and wore my ring on her finger. Of course I trusted her.

After the run-in with Jisoo, I went out the next day and found a ring for Jennie and on the way back home I felt an urge to get another gift to accompany it. I thought it out well. I needed something that would evoke an emotional reaction in Jennie, which made it harder because it didn't matter how much I splashed out. That wouldn't impress Jennie.

I manage to find the perfect thing when I stop by the shelter on the way home. A small kitten. I knew instantly that it was what I was looking for. And I was right. When Jennie got home from work, she was thrilled when I pulled out the bundle of fur as well as the engagement ring.

It probably helped that she had some good news of her own. Her internship had come to an end, but she had been offered a job at the same place, so nothing could spoil her mood that night. In fact, that night, it almost did feel like things were back to normal.

For the following weeks, she spent more time with the kitten and when I discussed wedding plans with her she wasn't exactly engrossed in the topic. She never took her ring off though. And seeing her with it on made my chest swell in pride.

I was proud to call Jennie my fiancee.

However, one particular topic does catch Jennie's attention when I bring up wedding plans for the tenth night in a row.

"What are you thinking for the guest list?"

She snickers at this as she plays with our kitten on the floor, who she had named Leo. "Guest list? We only know each other in this world, Lisa."

"What about from work?" She shakes her head. "Okay. But we need one witness, you know." Jennie doesn't respond, at this point, she's still vaguely detached from the conversation. "I was thinking we could invite Jisoo," I say the words quickly and wait for her reaction. I'm not waiting long.

Her head snaps towards me and her hands pull away from Leo, who grows bored quickly and bounds away. "You're kidding?" I shake my head. "Not a fucking chance, Lisa."

"I'd like her to be there, Jennie."

"She hates my guts, Lisa, and the feeling's mutual."

"I've known her a long time, Jennie. I want you both to get over whatever's happened between you. If you get to know each other, I'm sure you'll like each other just fine."

Jennie laughs sharply in amusement. "I doubt that."

"Won't you even try? For me?"

Jennie grows silent and then very quietly says, "that's not fair, Lisa."

In a quick yet unthreatening movement, I move off the sofa and onto the floor by Jennie's side. I ignore the subtle flinch of her shoulders when I throw an arm around her since she doesn't resist or stiffen when I pull her closer.

"We promised to start over, right?" I speak quietly against the fullness of her cheek which was covered by several stray strands of hair. She leans into my lips and I press a soft kiss to her before she pulls away again.

"You and me, Lisa. Not her. She was never involved in the deal."

"She's my friend. I've known her for a long time. Now that everything's over, why can't you both be friends? Or at the very least, be civil."

"I kidnapped her and she demanded you kill me. And based on our last encounter, there's still nothing but bad blood between us. I am not about to invite her to my wedding to appease you."