07. THE FALSE POSITIVE?

August 29, 2018

Duchess Brie in Tuxedo Dress for Hamilton

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex kicked off their Autumn schedule this evening at a gala performance of the hit musical Hamilton.

The evening marks the end of the couple's summer break: before the wedding of Charlie van Straubenzee and Daisy Jenks they joined Charles and Camilla at the Queen Mother's former Scottish retreat the Castle of Mey for a relaxing break.

They were both all smiles as they stepped out at the Victoria Palace Theatre.

Harry and Brie were warmly welcomed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, who wrote the show's book, music, lyrics and starred in the titular role on Broadway. In addition to Hamilton, he is known for creating and staring in the successful musical In The Heights and is set to co-star in the upcoming film Mary Poppins Returns. Miranda's awards include a Pulitzer Prize, three Grammy Awards, an Emmy Award, a MacArthur Fellowship, and three Tony Awards. The star is also admired for his activism and philanthropic efforts. He met with politicians in 2016 to speak out in favor of debt relief for Puerto Rico, and raised funds for rescue efforts and disaster relief after Hurricane Maria struck the island in 2017.

Tonight's performance raised awareness and funds for Sentebale's work with children and young people affected by HIV in southern Africa.

=•=•=•=
September 4, 2018

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Meet Inspirational Children at the Moving WellChild Awards!

It was a very special evening for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex who met some of the bravest children in the country at the WellChild Awards at The Royal Lancaster Hotel.

The WellChild Awards celebrate the inspiring qualities of some of the country's seriously ill young people and the dedication of those who go the extra mile to keep children healthy and happy, including the outstanding health, social care and education professionals. The Awards has played a huge part in highlighting what these families need, and the support that is desperately needed to meet the ever-increasing demand.

Harry and Brie joined guests for a pre-ceremony reception where they met the young winners of each award category and their families, and the nominated healthcare professionals.

Prince Harry presented the Award for Most Inspirational Child and delivered a speech. "Every one of you is truly amazing. You have shown all of us what it means to be a champion – whether for yourself, your family, your community, or someone in need."

During his speech, Harry noted he is "especially grateful to be able to share the scope and magnitude of this work with my wife".

=•=•=•=
September 6, 2018

Harry and I attended '100 Days to Peace', a gala music evening marking the centenary of the end of the First World War at Central Hall, Westminster.

Presented by the Royal Armouries, the one-off concert was an evening of music and reflection in aid of three charities all working to support military veterans facing mental health challenges, Help for Heroes, Combat Stress and Heads Together – the Royal Foundation's campaign and mental health initiative.

A statement released ahead of the gala read: "At the end of the First World War many thousands of men returned home suffering from shell-shock. With minimal understanding of the condition, many did not benefit from the type of support which is increasingly available today. Although circumstances have changed significantly over the last 100 years, we are ever more aware of the number of veterans who continue to need support because they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety or depression."

As the national museum of arms and armour, the Royal Armouries tells the stories of the men and women who have been involved in, and affected by, combat throughout history.

Chairman of the Royal Armouries, Lord Dannatt said:

"Tragically, the First World War did not turn out to be 'the war to end war' but then, as now, by marking the centenary of the end of the last 100 days of hostilities with this commemorative concert, we can hope and pray for a better future. Part of that better future is helping those who have been affected by war and conflict."

Harry and I were welcomed by Lord Dannatt and his wife. I chatted with Lady Dannatt before the event.

The first half included two performances by Lesley Garrett: 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven' – a poem by WB Yeats published in 1899, and the opening lines from 'For the Fallen', written by Laurence Binyon in 1914 and adapted by Sir Karl Jenkins for 100 Days to Peace. The event brought together Samuel Bordoli's 'The Great Silence', written in memory of choristers killed in the First World War, with the charity Remembered, featuring their 2018 Armistice installation 'There But Not There'.

During the intermission, Harry and I met some of the evening's performers during a reception in the President's Room, as well as representatives from the three charities, and trustees and sponsors.

A waiter offered me a drink and as I was about to take it, Harry declined it for me. I was a bit taken back by his gesture and I knew with the media here that this scene would be all over the social media and people would now be speculating about me being pregnant.

For the second half, Sir Karl conducted his internationally acclaimed 'The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace', performed by the Royal Choral Society and the Philharmonia Orchestra. Originally commissioned to mark the turn of the millennium to create a legacy of peace and hope for the future, this was the only performance of 'The Armed Man' in England in 2018 to be conducted by Sir Karl himself. The music was performed against a backdrop of Hefin Owen's film of 'The Armed Man'.

The Royal Armouries shared poignant images from the final year of WW1.

Men of the 11th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, in a captured German communications trench near Havrincourt during the First Battle of Cambrai, 20 November 1917.

After the event was over, we said our goodbyes and we left. Once, we arrived home, I quickly walked in our home and went to check on Akeilah.

Once I was sure she was okay and asleep, I walked into my bedroom where Harry was undressing himself.

"What was that you did at the event?" I asked him as I took off my heels.

"What? You're aren't supposed to drink, I did you a favor," Harry answered.

I rolled my eyes.

"No, what you did was put more pressure on me! We didn't even know if I'm really pregnant or if it's a false alarm. Now, people will be putting more pressure on me to actually be pregnant," I said.

Harry sighed.

"You took a test and it was positive, Brie," Harry said.

"It could be a false positive, Harry," I said.

Harry shook his head no.

"No, I don't think it is," Harry said.

"You're being stubborn, and this is definitely not the right time to be having a baby with all of our marriage problems," I said.

"We've been going to therapy, Brie, we have actually gotten better," Harry said.

"Six sessions and you think we're okay," I said.

"Definitely, a lot better," Harry said.