09. BRIE, THE PEOPLE'S DUCHESS

October 3, 2018

A month had passed since Harry, and I had miscarried.

Today, I was returning to my royal duties. Harry and I's relationship had changed dramatically for the better. Losing our baby had brought us closer than ever.

We continued going to therapy together and individually to ensure everything is good between us and our mental health.

"Are you ready?" Harry asked as our car pulled to our first public engagement location.

"Yes," I answered.

Harry and I were making our first official trip to our namesake county, Sussex, today, undertaking an array of engagements in Chichester, Bognor Regis, Brighton, and Peacehaven.

The packed day began with a visit to Edes House, located at the heart of Chichester, the county town of West Sussex.

Before engagements commenced, it was time for a walkabout. Harry and I got out of the car and headed towards the large crowd of people waiting for us since early morning to see us.

There were huge cheers when we got near the people, the first person I walked up to was an older woman, and I was greeted with a hug.

I smiled and thanked her for waiting and coming to us. She said some kind words to me, and I moved on to the person next to her, who called me The People's Duchess.

I smiled at him and thanked him for the excellent nickname.

"He called me, The People's Duchess," I told Harry as he came up next to me.

"That's wonderful," Harry said.

Then we talked to a few more people before moving on, and I received a lovely bunch of flowers from a little girl.

We ended the walkabout and headed inside, where Harry and I were shown the rare Sussex copy of the American Declaration of Independence.

I had been handed a copy of the Sussex Declaration, which has been specially prepared for me.

"Oh my goodness, that's great, thank you so much, that's special, thank you," I said to Mrs. Walker.

On behalf of the records office, Mrs. Walker also presented me with a copy of the book 'Roots of America,' an anthology of the documents relating to American history kept in the West Sussex records office.

"This engagement tied in very nicely with my roots," I told Harry as we signed the visitors' book.

Next, Harry and I traveled along the coast to Bognor Regis, where we officially opened the University of Chichester's Engineering and Digital Technology Park.

The cutting-edge Technology Park has been designed to offer practical experiences in partnership with local industry. We joined an animation workshop, one of the many areas at the University working to transform the way STEM subjects are taught by combining science and engineering with creative technologies.

In the Production Theatre, the University Chamber orchestra is rehearsing Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

From there, Harry and I traveled along the coast to the vibrant seaside city of Brighton and Hove in East Sussex.

As in Chichester, locals turned out in force. We spent quite a lot of time meeting as many people as possible.

We visited the iconic Royal Pavilion. We toured several of the pavilion's rooms, learning more about the building's history and the impact that it had on the social development of Brighton in the 18th century.