VII

When I got to school on Monday Isabel ran up and hugged me but I just brushed her off and went to first period. Not that I didn't like Isabel, I just didn't feel like talking to anyone. This new year was starting off as a failure. I went through the next two days numb and I guess I forgot to eat. Isabel insisted I come over on Tuesday so I did but it was awkward because she kept giving me a sympathetic look.

"You need to eat something, what do you want?" She asked as I sat in her kitchen.

"Nothing, I'm not hungry." I said resting my head in my hands.

"Wynter... You need to eat something." She said. "I'll make you some coffee."

I shrugged, "Okay I guess." I said. I looked at her while she made the coffee. "I miss Max." I said. Thinking about it, we had never gone a week without talking. It was strange because I still looked at my phone to see if I had texts from him.

"I know you do." Said Isabel. "I've noticed."

I laughed dryly, "It's just not the same without him."

"Have you been getting enough sleep?" Asked Isabel.

"You sound like a mother. I would say my mother but my mom doesn't sound like that." I said.

"Have you talked to your sister?"

"No, I don't know what she'd do about it. My uncle is also out of the picture and I've never met my dad. I'm kind of in a predicament and I really need a job." I said sighing.

"You could come work at my family's restaurant." Said Isabel. "That would be so fun! We're always looking for help, I could ask for you."

I looked at Isabel and smiled softly. "Could you really? Thanks Isabel that means a lot."

"You're welcome!" She beamed as she handed me a mug of coffee. Then she sprouted into some story about how her and Brad went to a basketball game together. After she was done I told her I had to go but I didn't know where because now the electricity was off at my has as well as my heat now.

I got home and the bundled myself up in a blanket and went upstairs to my room to work on my homework but I couldn't focus so I just laid down instead. I was cold and tired and wanted to sleep in a heated house. I wondered how Max was, but I guess I couldn't know.

***

The next week I spent every minute with Isabel, whether it was sweeping the restaurant or sitting together at lunch. I loved Isabel but she still had her heart set on Max and I being together. I was also starting to get annoyed by Brad who had constant stories to share with us. After a week I decided I would sit somewhere else at lunch.

That's when I realized I had no other friends. That's when I decided I just needed a break and went and sat at the small table in the corner that no one ever sat at. After I sat down I glanced around the lunchroom. I saw Max sitting in a group of people laughing and smiling as always, Isabel was doing the same.

In this time I was looking around I almost didn't notice a girl that sat down across from me. She was short with dark brown, almost black, long hair. A bang fell over her eye and she was wearing a grey jacket that was slightly oversized. Once she sat down she looked at me. He name was something that started with an s, but I couldn't quite remember it. "You're Max's friend right?" She asked softly.

I nodded, "Yeah... I guess that'd be me." I said. I didn't know if Max and I were even friends anymore, it had been two weeks since he'd last spoken to me. Thinking about it kind of hurt.

"You two had a fight..." She said. She pulled out a sketch pad and continued sketching on a drawing. "I've noticed how you two don't talk anymore. Max seems upset by it. He's failing English and I heard him say that it was because you weren't helping him."

Max always did need help with English, it was something about comprehension that tripped him up. "Yeah... We aren't really on speaking terms." I said.

"Hmm." She said. I glanced at her artwork, it was some anime character. She was a good artist, better than I could ever be. "I'm Summer by the way."

"I'm Wynter, with a y." I said. She looked at me and smiled.

"It's nice to meet you Wynter with y." She said before glancing back down at her drawing.

"It's nice to meet you too." I said, and I really meant it.

***

I ate lunch with Summer everyday for the rest of January. It was nice because we were both so quiet, we mostly just say and enjoyed each other's company. Summer would sometimes tell me about a good anime or manga or tell me about what she was drawing. It was a new drawing everyday. I also found out she loved Three Days Grace and Black Veil Brides. She slowly got my story out of me, about Max and everything, but unlike Isabel she she didn't try to force me to date Max. I just told her I would talk to him when I felt ready.

I felt ready, but I didn't know how to do it. When I wasn't at work I was sitting in a cold house without electricity thinking about life, I had already planned out what I was going to say. I told Summer my plan at lunch and she stopped drawing and looked at me smiling. "You'll do great Wynter, how could he not forgive you?"

I sighed softly. "I don't know. I'm hoping he doesn't know either." I said. The bell rang and I walked to math. I felt sick just from thinking about talking to Max, but I really wanted to know what he was going to say.

After school I asked Isabel to give me a ride to Max's house. It was a Friday so I didn't have work and of course I didn't have plans. Isabel drove to to Max's house and then looked at me. "How are you feeling?" She asked me.

"I'm feeling a mix of emotions. Mostly I'm nervous." I said softly. Isabel hugged me and smiled.

"Break a leg." She said. I nodded and got out of the car. I walked up to the front door and rose my hand to knock. My hand shook slightly and I knocked on Max's front door.