XXV

Max's funeral was in the middle of July. Morgan wanted me too speak and I told her I would. I still felt sick and lonely. Isabel hadn't stopped following me around all day. At the viewing we looked at Max's body and I cried softly. "You were great Max." I said to him.

"God, I miss him already." Said Isabel. Somehow they were able to recreate his perfect smile. The smiled that made my heart flutter. I had too look away. Lot's of people from our school were there too. I sat next to Isabel and she took my hand in hers and held it close.

Maggie was giving her speech and I was next. "Max was the best brother you could ever ask for. He was nice, outgoing and just amazing." She said. She started crying. "I know we'll all miss him so much..." She covered her eyes. "I'm sorry." She said and she stepped off the stage running into her moms arms crying.

I went up and took a deep breath. "Max was my best friend." I said, "but he was so much more than just a friend. Max was so thoughtful, nice, friendly, he was perfect. He gad been depressed for a long, long time. It upsets me that we couldn't have helped him get through it better. I'm sure there won't be a day I won't think about Max." I said. I felt tears prick my eyes. I pulled a chocolate bar out of my pocket and put it in Max's pocket. I felt a hang on my shoulder, but when I turned around no one was there.

I went and sat back down as the next person went up to speak. I listened and thought about Max. I mostly felt empty. After everyone was done talking, people started to get up and talk too each other. I quietly slipped away and went down into the bathroom.

I looked at myself and I looked tired. I was sleep deprived and I felt like I could t relax. This was all my fault, I never should've left. I heard the door open and I jumped, no one could see me like this. I then remembered it was a funeral home and dismissed my worries.

In walked a boy about my age with brown hair. His eyes looked glassy as he came and stood by me looking at myself in the mirror. He looked familiar, I think he went to my school. "So who was it?" He asked looking at me.

"What?" I asked softly looking at him.

"You know... Who died?" He asked laughing dryly.

"Oh... It was my boyfriend." I said turning away from him. "You?"

"My dad." He said softly. We stood in silence for a minute. "You had that bug party a month or so ago, right? You name's Wynter."

"Wynter with a y." I said dully. "You were at the party?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'm a friend of Macy's you know, Max's ex." I looked at him and it all clicked. He was the person Macy had cheated on Max with.

"Yeah, Jason right?" He nodded, "Max is the one who passed away."

"But I thought you said it was your boyfriend." He said.

"He was." I snaps looking at myself in the mirror. I felt another wave of tears coming over me.

"I'm sorry for your loss Wynter." Said Jason, hugging me. I hugged him back.

"I'm sorry for yours too." I said. He dropped his arms and left. I stood there for a few more minutes before leaving. Isabel found me and hugged me. Summer hug me too. We went to the cemetery and threw flowers on top of the coffin. Mr. Jones's flower missed and he started crying.

After everything was over I stood there and stared at Max's gave with Isabel, Summer and Brad. It was right next to Michael's. It was unsettling. I didn't understand why everyone in my life had to leave me. I felt so alone.

***

I got accepted into Salem U. I found out the first week of August. "Congratulations Max." Said Maggie she hugged me and smiled.

"Thanks Maggie." I said. Maggie and I had been spending a lot of time together lately. Her parents had gotten a divorce, her dad was kicked out, her brothers had both passed away. I felt bad for her. Every time I walked past Max's room I felt my heart break a little more. At least Morgan had been nice enough too let me stay with them longer.

"I don't want to go." I said putting the letter down on the table.

"Why not? It'll be fun." She said smiling.

"I'll have too make new friends, a new life. I don't know if I can do that." I said looking at the letter.

"Wynter you have to go. It's a once in a life time chance." Said Maggie. I guess she was right, I didn't have much to stay for either.

There was a knock on the front door andI went and opened it. It was Brad and Isabel. "Hey Wynter!" Said Isabel walking in smiling.

"We're leaving today." Said Brad smiling. "Off too UCLA!" He said. Isabel and him had both gotten accepted there. I hugged them.

"Come visit me in Salem sometime." I said smiling. "Say hi to my mom, I figure she's in LA."

"We will, don't worry." Said Isabel hugging me, she then laughed. "And I will if I see her."

"I'm gonna miss you guys." I said smiling.

"I'll miss you too Wynter." Said Isabel.

"We'll visit sometime." Said Brad smiling. I waved them goodbye and they drove off and left.

Maggie walked over and watched them leave with me. "I miss Max." She said softly.

"I do too." I said hugging her. I missed him more than anything in the world, even more than my mom. I went back inside and went up too my room, laying down on my bed and closing my eyes. I laid there for awhile and Max just get coming back into my thoughts.

I got up and walked too his old room down the hallway and opened the door. It was exactly how it had been before I left. I walked over too his closet and pulled out my favorite sweatshirt of his. I then walked over to his drawer and got his gray sweats. They still smelled like Max. I said softly and I closed the dresser drawer and then noticed a chocolate bar on Mad's desk. I opened the top drawer to find more chocolate bars. I took those too.

I went back to my room and ate chocolate while looking at Max's clothes. I felt tears drop from my eyes. I knew Max would want me to go to college, so I guess I would go. I didn't want to go alone though, so instead I made a plan.