V

Max's birthday was tomorrow, it was also New Year's Eve. I had gotten an email from Isabel, she was still in Spain. I read it over and over again and just didn't know what to make of it.

Dear Wynter,
Thanks for asking me about how I was doing in Spain! (Not!) I was starting to think you forgot about me. It's really great here though, the food is much better than at home. Tomorrow is Max's birthday so wish him happy birthday wishes from me! How are you and him doing anyways? I'm sure you haven't told him about your crush, since you always say it's too soon. That's why I came up with the perfect plan!
Since his birthday is tomorrow, write it in his birthday card. You could also always just tell him and then be like, "Surprise happy birthday!" I'm sure he'll like that present very much. If you're worried about him getting mad, I wouldn't be. I think he'll come through eventually. Anyways I hope you have a good New Years!
Love always,
Isabel.

I didn't think I should tell Max, it might ruin his birthday or something. I quickly wrote Isabel back an email telling her everything would be fine. I guess I would tell him today, it only seemed right because Isabel was expecting me to. I wanted to tell him anyways so there was no better time.

It was almost six thirty, Max was going to pick me up any minute now. I glanced at his present that I had neatly wrapped with silver paper. Inside there was a solid Hersey's bar that was about a foot long and an inch thick. Max loved chocolate more than anything, I picked it up for him from the Hersey's store.

I heard a knock on the front door and I ran downstairs and answered the door. I wasn't surprised when I saw Max's smiling face. "Isn't it great Wynter? I'm turning eighteen tonight." He said grinning. "And there's only half a year of school left."

"And then we're done." I said. I was a little sad school was ending. Isabel and Max would always be there, hopefully.

"And then it's off to college." Said Max sighing softly.

"Yup... Well at least for you anyways." I said laughing softly.

"Yeah, but I'm forcing you to come be my roommate." He said grinning, "It will be so great. Northern California with you best friend, what more could you ask for?" He asked laughing.

"It will be great." I said laughing.

"Come on let's get going, I have cake at my house."

"German chocolate?" I asked.

He nodded, "Wouldn't have it any other way."

***

After eating German chocolate cake with Max's family we all sat in the living room waiting for New Years to happen. I didn't understand why they stayed up until midnight just to welcome in the new year. My new year didn't even start until September. Maggie sat really close to me on the couch and I kept trying to move away but I couldn't.

"Two more hours, how are we going to spend that time?" Asked Max's mom.

"I could think of a few ways." Said Maggie looking at me suggestively.

"Wynter! Let's go up to my room for a few minutes." Said Max grabbing my hand and dragging me up the stairs. Once we got upstairs Max locked his door. "Sorry sisters are a pain... Speaking of sisters, how's Stella?" He asked.

"I haven't talked to her in awhile. I don't know." I said walking over to his bed and sitting down.

"You should text her, call her, email her something!" Said Max sitting by me.

"I will soon." I said shrugging. I knew I probably wouldn't actually talk to her anytime soon.

"It's the last day of the year." Said Max softly. "It makes me sad every time a year ends."

"Me too I guess." I said.

"Anything you want to tell me before the year ends? Well, my year ends?" He asked laughing.

Now was the perfect time. "Well I... I kinda just I um... Max promise you won't get mad." I said looking at him, his eyes were filled with concern. "I kind just..." I took a deep breath. "I've had a crush on you since I was fifteen and I really just needed to get it off my chest." I said all in one breath.

"Wait you're gay? Why haven't you ever told me, and you have a crush on... m-me?" His voice faltered at the end then a silence hung around us.

"I'm sorry! I wanted to tell you earlier... I just... I didn't know how to do it." I said softly looking away. "I should go."

"Yeah... I think that would be best." He said. I just stood up and left without another word. I started walking home with my hands in my pockets staring at the sidewalk. Isabel would be happy with me at least, I wasn't sure where Max and I stood.

My phone dinged as I was walking. I grabbed it out and it was a text from Stella.

Happy New Years!

Stella, like my mom was not raised Jewish by my grandparents. I guess she was two hours ahead of us. Maybe she was living on the east coast somewhere. I told her happy New Years too, even if it was only 10:03. I was almost home when my phone went off again, this time ringing. It was Isabel.

"Did you do it?" She asked excitedly.

"I did." I said softly.

"And?"

"He thought it was best for me to leave so I left." I said softly.

"Oh... Wynter I'm sorry." Said Isabel. "I wish I could hug you but I'm at the JFK airport, we have another layover in Detroit." She explained.

"When are you getting home?" I asked as I walked up to my door.

"Tomorrow morning." She said.

"Oh." I said as I walked inside my house.

"Happy New Years by the way." She said yawning.

"Same to you." Was the new year ever happy? Not for me

"I better go, I'm tired and have long flights tomorrow. Bye Wynter." She said.

"Bye Isabel." I said and then I hung up. Even though everyone was telling me happy New Year, this 'new year' wasn't off to a very good start.