XVII

At about two in the morning I felt Max come and got in bed with me. "Are you awake?" He asked softly.

"I am now..." I had only been asleep for an hour. The rest of the time I was doing homework and freaking out that Max was going to date Macy.

"Good, I just wanted to tell you something." He said wrapping his arms around me and pulling my body close too his. My short height made this perfect, we fit together almost like a puzzle with my back up against his chest. "If you're jealous because you think I'm going too go back with Macy you're dead wrong. There is no way in hell that is happening." He said kissing the back of my head softly. "I love you way too much too do that."

I felt myself blush and I closed my eyes. "I love you more." I said.

"Not possible." He said laughing softly. "Oh yeah, and about prom..." He said softly.

"Isabel told me we should come out too everyone at prom." I said laughing.

Max stayed quiet for a second, "That's probably not the best idea."

"I know. I don't want too either." I said sighing softly. "It would be easier though."

"I know, I just... I'm not ready yet." He said softly.

"I know, and that's okay." I said, "I still want too go to prom though."

"I know, so do I. We're going too go. We can make Summer come with us. It'll be fun, right before the hell of testing." He sighed softly.

"Are you taking the ACT of the SAT?" I asked him.

"ACT, it seems easier." He said.

"I'm conflicted because Isabel says SAT is easier but you say ACT is. I think I'll take ACT though."

"That's good." He said, I could practically hear him smiling. "Summer's lucky, she doesn't have too do any of this testing.

"It's not fair." I said laughing softly.

"It's really not." He said kissing my head again. "Now let's get some sleep." He said. Finally that melancholy feeling was gone.

***

The next day at lunch Summer was drawing, as usual and Max was studying. I was just sitting there staring off into space. "Are you going to prom?" Max asked Summer.

"Nah. Dances aren't really my scene, plus I don't have a dress." Said Summer looking up from her drawing.

I laughed, "Just steal on of Isabel's."

"You should come. You need too come. It'll be boring if you don't." Said Max.

"I don't have a dress. It's not like I can go in my normal clothes." She said gesturing too her outfit. She was wearing a jacket that was slightly too big, skinny jeans, and red converse.

Just the Isabel walked by with Brad. "Isabel! Can you help us?" I asked. She walked over too us and smiled.

"Sure! What's up?"

"So proms coming up in a few weeks and we're all going too go-" I started.

Isabel squealed "Oh my god! Are you and Max going to-"

"No!" Max and I said in unison.

"Damn. Well if it's not for that then what is it for?" She asked.

"Isabel needs a dress and we were wondering if you could help?" I asked.

"Of course I can!" Isabel smiled at Summer. "You guys should all just come over too my house right before. I'll help summer get ready and then we can just go."

Max smiled and nodded, "Sounds good."

"Can I make a request?" Asked Summer. "No pink."

Isabel laughed, "Pink is tacky. There will definitely be no pink." She said.

"Hey angel-eyes!" Called Brad too Isabel.

"Duty calls." Said Isabel laughing. "Talk too you guys later!" She said walking over to Brad.

Max went back to studying and Summer went back too drawing. I went back to staring off into space. The rest of the day went by slowly. Math wasn't fun, neither was English. I talked too Brad between those classes and he had just talked about Isabel. He told me he was so excited too go to prom with her and that I was so lucky to be one of her best friends. I still didn't know what she saw in him, but he was rather charming in a way.

Max took me too work after school, "Do you have too go?" He asked me.

"Do you want too pay me fifty dollars a day?" I asked.

"I want to spend time with you, so yes." He said kissing my cheek.

"I'll be back home at seven." I said smiling, "We can spend time together then."

"I love you." He said.

"You too." I said smiling.

"I'll pick you up at seven." He told me as I got out of the car. I nodded and then went inside to an almost empty restaurant. Isabel was sitting at an empty booth near the kitchen reading a magazine.

"Aren't you excited for prom?" She asked me. I nodded, I was excited. "Good. You can thank me later for giving you the idea too go." She said smiling as she stood up. "Now... Let's get too work."

***
"Guess what!" I said getting in Max's car smiling.

"You're going to seduce me in the backseat?" He asked, I laughed.

"Sorry but not today. I got a raise." I said smiling at him.

"Good job Wynter." He said leaning over and kissing me. Max's kisses were so nice.

We started to drive home. "Guess what I found while you were at work!" He said grinning.

"Oh no, what?" I asked looking at him.

"Michael's Nintendo 64!" He said. "Don't you remember playing it? Michael wouldn't want is to play it, but mom made him."

"And we sucked at it. Michael would always tell us what to do but we'd never listen to him." I said laughing.

"We were too cool for that." Max laughed, "We should play it after dinner though. It would be fun."

"Of course it would be fun!" I said smiling. It would be fun too remember our lives at a simpler time. Max was happy, Michael was alive, my mom still lived with me. The past was a glorious place.

Max and I sped through dinner. It was spaghetti, bleh. Spaghetti was one of my least favorite foods, right after French toast. I think it was the sauce that I didn't like. Something about it just doesn't seem right. I ate it anyways as not to offend Morgan, her cooking was amazing. After we finished Max grabbed my hand and dragged me into the living room. "Come on I can't wait too play this!" He said.

He handed me a controller and we sat down and played Mario 64. Maggie watched us for awhile but then she got bored and left. We continued playing until if got too be about eleven thirty. "I had forgotten how fun this could be."

Max laughed, "I know. It's great, lots of memories." He saved the game and then yawned turning off the TV. "C'mon let's go too bed."

"Carry me." I said looking up at him. He laughed and picked me up. He always acted as if I weighed nothing, he always told me that too. He carried me upstairs and then dropped me on his bed. I crawled under the covers and he came and joined me.

"I love you." I said as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close.

"I love you more." He breathed on the back of my neck.

"Impossible."I said closing my eyes.i let myself relax in his arms. I knew it was cliché but, I really did feel safe in his arms.

I felt his arms tighten around me, "Nothing is impossible Wynter. Even the word impossible even says, 'I'm possible'."