IX

I had been living with Max for almost a month now and it was about the middle of March. Max had been acting strange lately and I still don't think I had ever seen him talk to his dad. Whenever we would watch TV I'd sit on the couch and Maggie would cling to me and tell me about her day while I half heartedly listened. Max would glance at me out of the corner of his eye and have an unreadable emotion in his face, it bothered me.

We had never talked about my crush on him since the first day I had came. It had died down after I knew I didn't have a chance with him. Another thing was that max wasn't being open about his feelings anymore with me. He seemed tired and sad, but he wouldn't talk about it. I didn't know what to do so I just tried to spend time with him.

On Friday he told me he didn't want to come to school because he hadn't been feeling well. He gave me his car keys and I went to school by myself. At lunch I sat by Summer and she drew a picture of someone from her latest anime. "Where's Max?" She asked me.

"He just didn't want to come today." I told her shrugging.

"Oh I hope everything's okay, he's been acting strange lately." She said.

I nodded "I know, I'll try to get the truth out of him this weekend." I said. I glanced around the lunchroom and saw Isabel and Brad. I then glanced back at Summer and her drawing. "What anime is he from?" I asked.

She smiled softly as she started shading in the drawing. "This is Blackstar from Soul Eater. He's just absolutely perfect."

"Why is he so perfect?" I asked her. I was curious about her thoughts anyways.

"He's so confident in himself, arrogant almost but he's strong as well." She sighed softly, "I wish I could be like him."

I nodded and watched her as she drew. She payed such attention to detail and her drawings were just amazing. "I wish I could draw like that." I said.

"Anything's possible if you put your mind to it." She said smiling as the bell rang. I got up and headed to math, Summer did have a point.

***

When I got back to Max's house after school I found him sitting on the couch, shirtless, in just sweats with a chocolate bar in his hand. "Oh hey Wynter." He said hoping over the back of the couch and standing up.

"Hey." I said taking off my shoes. I then looked up at him and he had this weird expression on his face. "What's been with you the past little while? Summer and I have both noticed."

He took a bite of a chocolate bar and looked of into space, as if he had to deeply ponder this. "I'll tell you in a minute. I need to think about this." He said. I just gave him a look and then walked back upstairs.

I walked into my room, Michael's old room and former guest room. I put my bag down on the bed and then sat down. What had been with Wynter lately, Isabel had pointed it out to me at work the other day too. What if something was seriously wrong with him? I couldn't take it anymore and then walked back downstairs.

"Wynter... I don't know how to tell you this so I think I'll show you instead." Said Max walking over to me. I looked up at him and he had an almost nervous look on his face. He reached over and took of my glasses.

"What are you doing?" I asked him. He laughed softly.

"Can you still see? Like how blurry is it, on a scale from one to ten." He said.

"About I five, maybe a four." I said. What was the point of this. If he had wanted to know what I saw without my glasses he could've just asked.

"Close your eyes." He said. I sighed softly and closed my eyes.

"You know I really don't see the point in this Max..." I said. He was quiet, but I kept my eyes closed because I was curious. I was about to give up and open my eyes when I felt his lips on mine.

I felt a blush come to my face as I realized what was going on. I felt so close to him but it also felt weird. It seemed odd that I was waiting for this moment since I was fourteen and it was finally happening. It was just like how I imagined it too. After a minute he pulled away, warped his arms around me and rested his head on my shoulder.

"So that's it." He said laughing softly. "I'm just bad at expressing feelings... Well besides sadness."

I laughed softly, "Why did you do that?" I asked him.

"I wanted to see what it felt like." He said.

"What did you think?" I asked him.

"It's different than kissing a girl but it's not bad." He laughed and looked at me smiling. "It was actually pretty amazing."

I smiled, "It was just like how I would've imagined it." It was silent for a moment before I looked at him. "What does this mean?"

"Hmm, I don't know. I just really like you a lot Wynter. I've realized that in the past month while you've been here." He laughed softly and smiled at me. "Sorry I would've told you sooner."

"You're starting to sound like me." I pointed out. He smiled and laughed softly.

"Sorry." He said resting his head on my shoulder again, I heard him sigh softly.

"Is that all? I mean... Has something else been bothering you? Also where did you get that black eye from?" I asked.

"My black eye isn't important right now." He said as he let go of me and looked at me. "Can't we just focus on the good parts of this day?"

I smiled and sighed, "Yeah I guess."

"Can I kiss you again?" He asked. I nodded and soon we were kissing again. This time we stood a little close and kissed a little deeper and it was nice. He slipped his hand under my sweatshirt and placed it on the small of my back. It must've surprised me or something because I pulled away. "Sorry..." He mumbled.

"No no, you hands were just cold." I said looking at him. I could tell I was blushing too, those were my first two kisses.

"Macy always told me I did have wondering hands... Also you shouldn't be wearing a sweatshirt with nothing underneath. It's dangerous." He said laughing softly. "Maggie's going to be home soon..."

"I guess we can't make out in the living room anymore." I said teasingly.

"Yeah... We could always make out somewhere else. Come on." He said grabbing my hand and taking me upstairs.