XXII

"Only a week until you leave for Virginia, are you excited?" Isabel asked me as we walked down the street too the pizza place. We went there a lot. Max was with us too, although he didn't say much. Summer and Brad we're going too meet us there.

"Of course I am." I said smiling as I looked at Isabel. I was actually kind of nervous.

"Good, I'm glad." Said Isabel. It was hot outside and when we stepped into the pizza place the cold air was refreshing.

"I'm so anxious too open this." Said Max. We were all going to open our test scores.

"I'm sure you did fine." I said smiling, "You did amazing in school, you have nothing to worry about."

"I hope you're right." Said Max. We all sat down and ordered a pizza. Brad came a few minutes later and apologized for being late, then proceeded to stuff his face with pizza. What did Isabel see in him?

"Okay guys we have to start opening these scores." Said Isabel smiling. "Who wants to go first?"

"I'll go first." I said shrugging, I probably failed anyways. I opened the envelope and read through it quickly then looked at my score. I got a twenty one on the ACT. A twenty one. That was average, I passed?

"What does it say?" Asked Max leaning over. "Oh my god! Good job Wynter." He said.

"What did he get?" Asked Isabel.

"I got a twenty one!" I said smiling, "I think that's pretty good for someone who has gotten C's all his life."

"It is good." Said Brad smiling at me. "I'll open mine next." He said opening the envelope. "I got a one thousand seven hundred and fifty six on the SAT."

"Good job babe." Said Isabel kissing his cheek.

"Thanks." Said Brad laughing softly, "Now you go."

Isabel opened her envelope and smiled. "One thousand seven hundred and fifty seven." She said laughing, "I beat you by one point."

"Good job. I always knew you were the smarter one." Said Brad laughing as he kissed Isabel softly.

"Get a room!" Summer said laughing as she turned to Max. "Open yours!" She said smiling.

Max opened the envelope and smiled. "Oh my god, I got a twenty eight."

"Good job Max!" Said Summer smiling.

"I told you you had nothing to worry about." I said laughing softly.

"That doesn't mean I'm not going to worry." Said Max smiling. We all sat around and talked for a few until the waiters started giving us dirty looks. We left and stood out in the hot summer sun talking.

"I'm gonna go guys. I told my mom is go visit my grandma today." Said Brad. He kissed Isabel again then walked over too his truck. "Have fun on your trip Wynter!" He called before getting in.

"It's hot." Commented Max, "Summer will you give me and Wynter a ride home."

"Why did we even walk in the first place?" Asked Isabel.

"I don't know." I said laughing.

"Of course I'll give you guys a ride." Said Summer smiling. We all walked over to her car and got in it. Summer drove us home and dropped us off before speeding away.

Max and I walked inside the house. "It feels so good in here." Maggie was sitting on the couch with a fan blowing on her.

"Max! Why haven't you been answering your phone?" She asked looking at us. Max pulled out his phone.

"I didn't hear it." He said shrugging, "What did you want?"

"I want too barrow your car. I need too go to the pool." Said Maggie walking over to us. "Please?" She asked.

Max laughed, "Sure keys are on the counter."

"Thank you Max!" She said hugging him. She ran into the kitchen grabbed the keys then went out the garage. The second the garage door closed Max grabbed me and flung both of us over the back of the couch on to the cushions.

"I'm going too miss you so much when you're gone." He said holding me close to him and kissing me.

I laughed softly and kissed him back. "I'll miss you too." I said.

"Yeah but you'll be having fun with your sister. You won't even think about me." He said smiling.

"Of course I will! It's hard to not think about you, Maximilian." I said kissing him again.

"I love you Wynter." He said softly as he pulled away.

"I love you more." I said hugging him close too me. I loved when we spent time like this. I felt warm, safe, happy whenever I was in Max's arms. "Hey... How've you been?" I asked him.

"I'm still in a blue funk, if that's what you mean." He said.

"Yeah... But how've you been lately?" I asked him again.

"I've been better. A few days here and there that aren't so good." He said shrugging. Max did a good job of hiding his depression, and I hated it.

"Promise me something." I said looking at him.

"What is it?" He asked raising his head off the couch and looking at me.

"Promise that you won't hurt yourself or anything while I'm gone. Please Max?" I said. I still remembered the last time I had asked him to promise something and he hasn't answered.

"I-" The garage door opened and Max quickly sat up moving away from me on the couch. He never promised, but he was about too so that was good enough. Macy walked in from out in the garage.

"You guys want to help me being in the groceries?" She asked us smiling. Max and I helped her being everything in and put them away. "I got you this." She said handing Max a Snickers.

"Thanks mom!" Said Max. His eyes seemed too light up at the thought of chocolate.

"You're welcome. I got this you too Wynter." She said handing me a bag of Shelly beans.

"Thank you so much Morgan." I said smiling.

"You're welcome dear." She said smiling.

"You know we met because of a jar of jelly beans." Said Max smiling. "When we were in first grade and they had a jelly bean contest."

"I had never had jelly beans before." I said remembering.

"An I was determined to let you have some so I guessed. I got the number right too." He said smiling, "Eight hundred and seventy nine."

I laughed, "I remember that like it was yesterday." I said.

"It was eleven years ago." Commented Morgan.

"I remembered when I first met you you didn't have any idea what Christmas was." Said Max laughing.

"It's because my grandparents raised me." I shrugged, "What can I say?" I laughed. I looked at the bag of jelly beans in my hands. "Guess how many jelly beans are in this bag."

"Seventy six." He said. Later I counted them. There was exactly seventy six. Max had a gift for guessing jelly bean numbers.