3.The fire

Rose's pov

It was a normal day. Diana and I were walking to school casually talking along the way. I saw Anne sitting near and decided to go talk to her.

"Diana why don't you ahead inside. I'll be there in a bit."I was walking to where Anne was sitting when someone stepped in front of me. It wasn't a girl because the person was tall.

"Hey, pretty lady. where do you think you're going?" the boy in front of me I had never seen before.

He had blonde hair that was slicked back. He looked like he came from a rich family.

"It's none of your business," I said taking a few steps as he walked closer.

"Get away from me!" I yelled as I ran into the schoolhouse not bothering to look back.

I was panting as I walked inside.

"Oh, dear Rose are you okay?!"Diana asked as she rushed over to my side as well as Anne who had come inside while that all happened But none of the other girls seem to move. 

They were all giving me disgusted looks but the worst one of all was Josie's.

I felt weak to my knees.

"The blonde boy.. who is he?" I  managed to choke out in between breaths.

"Oh him? Billy Andrews. Why do you ask?" said Anne. 

"It's nothing.."I didn't want to worry them more.

Anne helped hang my coat and we sat down in our seats.

~

Third-person pov

As the class went on Rose's mind started wandering to gilbert and the walk they had the other day.

              They walked side by side as the wind blew in Rose's hair making it a tad bit messy.

Rose smiled as Gilbert talked about his father and how they traveled the world. He spoke with so much passion. 

"How do you like so far?" he said turning to face me.

"I do like it here but," she said looking down.

"You can tell me anything you know..." said gilbert placing his hand on her shoulder.

"Well back at home my mother i-is sick. Father says she'll get better but I know she won't. I ju-just don't want her to leave me." she said holding back as many tears as she could but some still spilled out.

She quickly wiped them away.

Gilbert felt bad for the girl.

"My father's sick too. I don't think he's going to get better either."

~

Rose's thoughts were cut off by Mr.Phillips yelling at her.

"Miss.Barry! Are you not paying attention while I'm teaching"

Rose slightly jumped.

"I-I'm so-sorry I wa-" she was cut off by him telling her to come to the blackboard.

Pure humiliation came over her as she slowly walked to the blackboard.

"I will pay attention in class," said Mr.Phillips as he wrote on the blackboard.

He handed the chalk to Rose.

She began writing.

~