14. He's back...

Third-person pov

Anne quickly pulled her hand back and hid the letter behind her back.

"Is that my letter?" Rose looked her straight in the eye. 

Anne shook her head furiously.

"Anne. Is that my letter" Anne pulled the letter out and placed it on her desk.

"Maybe?" She said sheepishly.

"Did you read it?" Rose snatched the letter from Anne's desk and placed it on her books instead.

"I did...I couldn't resist. You two have such a beautiful romanc-" Rose cut her off.

"We do not have a romance of any kind. And you shouldn't be meddling in my business" With a huff Rose turned back.

"Rose maybe we should give it to Ruby?" 

"What? Why?" Rose quickly turned back to face the two.

"For her to cry over. Unless..."

"You don't want to?" A wicked smirk came upon both Anne and Diana's faces as they looked at Rose.

She hesitated before handing the letter over to them but before they could get it Billy grabbed it from the table.

"Give it back Andrews!" Anne yelled reaching for the letter. Rose could only watch in horror as he opened the letter.

Then suddenly Cole came up from behind him and grabbed it out of his hands. He handed it back to Anne and went back to his seat with a satisfied smile.

Mr. Phillips walked in. Rose took the letter back and placed it between her books.

"Just to keep it safe" She whispered to herself.

"Everyone open your readers to page 124"

~~~

Rose sat on a tree stump at lunch. The girls were talking about Mr. Phillips and Prissy which was a bore so she decided to sit outside.

The cold autumn air brushed her skin every now and then making her shiver.

She looked into the far distance remember the memories she had with Gilbert.

Gilbert and Rose sat side by side with books in both of their hands.

Gilbert's attention was somewhere else though. He admired Rose's side profile as she read.

Then she suddenly turned around and looked him straight in the eye.

"What? Is there something on my face?" She frantically tried to clean it off.

Gilbert chuckled bringing her hand down.

"There's nothing on your face" He laughed making her crack a smile.

Cliche I know but there's something about this memory that gave her butterflies.

~~~

"Surely it can't be that awful.." Diana said trying to calm Anne down. She had tried to dye her hair black and now it's green.

Rose took a ribbon from her hair and tied it over Anne's head.

"There. You look beautiful Anne. Long hair or not" Rose said with a sad smile.

Anne walked out of the cloakroom to the classroom as everyone turned to her.

Everyone was surrounding this one area.

Rose walked forward to see what the excitement was about.

Her jaw dropped to the floor when she saw the person that she thought would never come back.