Chapter Two

After half an hour, the room Began to fill up as Mr Jack's flicks through the newspaper on his desk, glancing over at the class every now and then. Beca had pulled out a notebook and began doodling on the corner of the page.

"So, you'd rather doodle than talk to me?" Emily question, pulling Beca away from her own mind.

"No, not at all. I just don't know what to say." Beca admits, gently placing down her pen and sending a quick glance and smile to Emily.

"Well, how about we play the game of" Emily trails off to mimic a drumbeat with the desk. "Getting to know each other." Emily finishes. Beca nods slowly.

"Okay. And how does this game work exactly?" Beca asks.

"Simple, we take turns telling each other something about themselves. I'll go first to demonstrate. I'm gay." Emily announces. Beca's eyes widen in shock as she looks around, as Emily had said it loud enough for surrounding people to hear. "Dude, chill. People already know." Emily chuckles.

"What, people don't give you shit about it?" Beca asks and Emily shrugs.

"You get the odd arsehole making comments, but mostly... No one really cares." Emily tells her and Beca smiles to herself.

"Oh. That's... Well that's good. Just at my last school, people weren't all that accepting if they weren't their idea of normal." Beca says.

"Where did you move from?" Emily asks.

"Michigan. Not the worst place, not the best. If you kept your head down, you were good." Beca responds and Emily nods slowly.

"And I'm guessing you had to keep your head down?" Emily pushes. Beca's eyes drifted back to her notebook, not really wanting to respond. But, if she wanted to make friends, she knew full well she had to open up abit.

"Yeah... Let's just say I wasn't their idea of normal." Beca says quietly, wondering if Emily would catch onto what she meant. And by luck, she did. Beca could tell as she glanced up and saw Emily's face as the realisation dawned upon her, before she nodded slowly.

"Okay. It's your turn to tell me something." Emily says, deciding not to say anything yet. Beca had admitted to being gay very subtly, so it felt like a conversation about it would be better talked about in private.

"I mess around with music." Beca says, swiftly bringing the conversation away from her sexuality. Emily smirks and raises her eyebrow at her.

"Care to expand?"

"Well I do dabble in songwriting, my main thing to do is mixing songs together." Beca answers and Emily smiles.

"That sounds pretty cool. And something to let drop Infront of Mr. Jack. Get you in his good books." Emily winks, causing Beca to chuckle.

"I'll be sure to hint at it." Beca says and Emily smiles back, a large and warm smile. Emily had a beautiful smile, Beca had to admit. It felt inviting in a way.

"So, a new week." Mr Jack calls from the front of the room, snapping Beca's attention to him. "I'm sure you all have had enough time to catch up with what you did during the weekend which I will not hear about. I have a few announcements. Basketball tryouts are tommorow in the gym during lunch. The music rooms have finally been outfitted for use by our students. If you wish to use them during your free time, come see me. And lastly, we have a new student with us. Miss Beca Mitchell." He finishes, indicating at Beca, who waves awkwardly at everyone. Hearing the covered laugh of Jesse, to which she sends a glare in response. "As always, you have twenty minutes to talk amongst yourselves." He finishes before returning to his newspaper. And a few people get out of their chairs and walk over to others. Jesse, Audrey and Chloe walk over to Beca and Emily. Chloe sits on the table directly Infront of Beca.