Chapter 30

Aiden was never safe from harm on the reservation. Even before Sebastian... In poverty-stricken places such as Aiden's hometown, things were difficult. Poverty led to stress, stress led to abusive and neglectful households, trauma led to addictions. Drugs weren't an uncommon thing. Mental illness, fighting, alcohol, and so much more weren't uncommon... Which was why it was so difficult to stay sober in a place like that.

Aiden's head spun, a smile was sprawled out on his lips as his heart fluttered and danced. The stinging from the injection was gone... Replaced with an overwhelming feeling of bliss and happiness... He could hear Gray giggling they helped Roman find a vein... He finally understood why Gray liked this so much. Why Gray always had a preference for acid over pain pills like Aiden and Roman.

"Aiden" Edward's voice seemed so far away despite him being just a few feet from him. "Are you good?" Aiden nodded but Edward didn't seem to budge. Edward was always concerned for Aiden... He'd show up panicking and on the verge of tears. Edward never knew what to do. Aiden never talked to him... He didn't know how to help him. He didn't know what to say because he never knew what was wrong... So he'd give Aiden a pill or two.

At first, it was just a Xanax... And then the occasional pain meds... He thought he was helping him feel a little happier. Besides, it was better if Aiden got things from Edward than Micah. Micah's stuff was always laced with poisons and toxins... But then Aiden started asking for more and more... At first, Edward was reluctant. He tried to stick to small doses but that wasn't ever enough. So he gave Aiden more and more... Looking back, he regretted it. He should have cut Aiden off a long time ago, or better yet never given him any, to begin with. Now all he could do was try his best to ease his friend out of it and take care of him.

"Aiden... What's been going on?" Edward pressed. "I'm worried about you..."

"I... Are you real?" Aiden mumbled before his eyes fluttered shut. Edward rolled his eyes and sat down beside Aiden with his hands in his hair, stressing out over his best friend. He could tolerate it when it was Gray or Roman... They didn't do it to forget like Aiden did. They did it for the experience. Not to mention, Aiden always took a little too much as if he was trying to kill himself. And Edward just couldn't handle seeing his best friend of ten years life only be supported by tubes and machines again. He refused to.

"Since when are you such a stuck-up?" Roman scoffed. Edward froze as he glanced over at Roman whose arms were wrapped around his giggling partner... Gray's tawny skin was tinted a light pink in their cheeks and Edward knew it was only a few more minutes before the acid got the better of them.

"I'm not" Edward mumbled. He glanced down at Aiden feeling a pang of guilt. He should stay sober... He should watch over Aiden before he did something stupid. But he hated Roman's judgemental stare... So he scowled and ripped away the box containing the needles from him. He carefully selected one that had been untouched and gave Aiden one last apologetic glance. He should have been a better friend.

_________________________________________

"You're talking to the person who sprained his own ankle to get out of sports week in middle school" Austin deadpanned.

"You're a dancer, you're good with your feet" Jullian smirked down at the white-haired boy feeling his heart do a quick flutter. He internally cringed at the feeling, but couldn't help being at least a little happy... Austin was putting in the effort to spend time with him instead of running away again after an intimate and that was at least progress. When he had asked Austin to go with him, he was relieved when he arrived dressed like Austin again... Maybe that meant he was feeling a little bit better.

And black and gray cropped marble shirt with long mesh sleeves showed off his pale body. Acid-washed jeans hugged his lower body and he had even put in the effort of doing his eyebrows again. His hair was neatly done due to the never-ending list of products he tended to put in and his lips were tinted a pale pink that reminded Jullian of a rose in winter. Things were still tense... Still awkward... But Jullian was just happy with any of the boy's attention.