Get Ready For Some Loving

(Above is the dance video that Olive was doing in the last chapter).

Adam POV:

I ran my hand through my hair as I stood in front of the mirror. It was the first day of school and I wanted to make sure that I looked great. I chose out my best outfit and spent the last few minutes combing my hair. My dad walked in when I was doing that and asked me if I was going to start putting on cologne. I rolled my eyes at him and said that I just wanted to look good but he wouldn't let up until my mm called him downstairs.

Okay, everything looks good. I adjusted my pride pin and made sure it wouldn't fall off, I wouldn't want to lose it, then checked my shoes to make sure they tied tight enough. After I did all that I grabbed my backpack up from the floor and slid it on.

I checked my reflection one last time and then headed downstairs. Puddles ran up to the edge of the stairs to greet me and kept jumping up at me on her hind legs. I gave her a few kisses and then walked over to the kitchen where my mom and dad were having breakfast. School was going to start in a half hour and is a ten-minute walk from here so I wouldn't have time to eat breakfast here; I grabbed the bagel with jelly and apple that my mom left out for me and hurried over to the door, hoping to avoid the teary seeing off.

I wasn't so lucky. My mom grabbed me before I could get out of the door and pulled me into a tight hug and started crying into my hair. I awkwardly hugged her back with one arm since I didn't want to smear my bagel all over her back and mumbled that I had to leave. My mom hugged me for another minute and then let me go and gave me a kiss on the head.

"I hope you have a great day," she said in a choked voice. I shuffled a bit and then gave her another half hug and said, "I love you." She choked up again and just waved me away; I waved to my dad and then walked out the door, my dad shouting behind me, "Don't get detention!"

I rolled my eyes and started sprinting when I spotted Mira and Kai waiting for me farther down the street.

Time-skip (8 minutes):

We're almost to the high school and Kai is fidgeting really bad. The whole walk here he kept asking Mira and me about what to do when he got there, should he greet his teachers, and stuff like that. Mira and I kept assuring him that everything was going to be okay and that he just needed to calm down and I think it kind of worked. He's not fidgeting as bad.

After walking a bit more we finally get to the high school. There's a ton of people here and we have to weave through several clusters of people before we could get to the door.

"Sure are a lot of people here," Kai commented as he pulled his backpack tighter against him. I nodded and looked around to try to see if I could spot Olive or any of his friends. I couldn't with all the people but I did spot the big sign that was pointing towards the cafeteria that said 'Biscuits and Gravy!' I pointed it out to Mira and Kai, hoping that some breakfast might calm Kai down.

"You two want to go to breakfast?" Mira and I already ate (she had English muffin that she ate on the walk) but we could just talk or something. Mira and Kai both nodded and followed me as I weaved a path through the crowd of people.

Time-skip (5 minutes):

Mira and me sat down at a mostly empty table while Kai went up to the breakfast line to get some food. I pulled out my schedule to double check that I know where all my classes are. Brown for 3rd, Adam for 4th, Barnett for 5th... After I got my classes partly memorized I slipped my schedule back in my backpack and looked over to Mira.

She was scanning her schedule over too and after a couple minutes she put her schedule in her binder and turned to me. "So who do you have for first period?" she asked, resting her head on her hand.

"Ms. Bouchard, it's for health class." Ms. Bouchard is a really nice teacher but she's known for not being shy about her material and also giving really rigorous sex ed units. Mira takes a couple seconds to put the name to the face and once she did she made a scrunchy face and said, "Oooh, bad for you."

I laughed a bit and was about to say how I hoped that Olive wasn't in it too but Kai interrupted me when he walked over to us and asked, "So what are you two talking about?" He set his tray down and then slid his backpack off and sat down. Mira turned to face Kai and chirped, "Just about our classes and stuff. Do you know where all your classes are?"

Kai took a bite out of his biscuit before answering; once he swallowed it, he replied, "Yeah I think so. Alfred helped me look over the school map and marked where all my classes were." He set down his biscuit and pulled out his schedule from the front pocket of his backpack. He unfolded it and laid it on the table; it had stars on the classes Kai was supposed to go to.

Mira and I scanned the names of the classrooms and tried to see if any of Kai's teachers were ones that Mira or I had last year. Kai got my old ELA and math teacher and Mira's old history teacher but not any other of our old teachers.

Mira pointed to the star that was on Mrs. Bouffe's classroom and commented, "She's really nice. One time when I won a Kahoot she gave me a bag of Swedish Fish." Mira giggled a bit and Kai smiled a little too as he started to relax. I smirked a bit and pointed to my old ELA teacher's classroom and said, "They're really nice too. Have a bunch of pride flags up in their room."

Kai smiled a bit more and seemed to relax a bit finally. Mira looked over at the digital clock that's above the cafeteria door and then said, "Hey the bells' going to ring in ten minutes. Want to go to class?" Kai and I both glanced at the clock too then nodded.

Kai stood up and slipped on his backpack then grabbed his tray. I stood up too and followed Mira and Kai as they walked over to the trash.

Time-skip (7minutes):

Mira and I waved goodbye to Kai as he walked down the hall to his class. We started walking to our classes, we didn't get the same first period, and were kind of quiet. We're both pretty nervous about being in separate classes since we've been grouped together since elementary school.

After a couple of minutes, we finally got to my classroom and we awkwardly stood there for a little bit until Mira said, "See you later Adam." She stood there for a little bit longer then awkwardly shuffled away, looking over her shoulder several times before he turned the corner.

I sighed and then walked into the classroom, hoping to find my seat before everyone else came rushing in. Before I could glance at the board Ms. Bouchard had already walked up to me and had a big smile on her face. "Hey Adam, it's so good to see you!" she chirped.

I smiled at her and replied, "Nice to see you too Ms. Bouchard." She opened her mouth to say something but got interrupted by the bell. Then a large group of kids started piling into the room and she smiled at me and walked away to help guide them around.

I adjusted my backpack and then looked up to the board to check the seating chart. Luckily I got put in the front left corner near the window and next even better I got put next to Olive. I don't know whether this is good or bad. I made my way over to my seat and set my backpack down by my desk and then sat down.

After getting comfortable, I unclipped my trapper keeper from my backpack and set it on my desk. I heard a few kids behind me start sitting down and turned around to see who it was. All the kids right behind me were people I didn't know but Jack from the basketball team who was kind of diagonal from me waved and smiled.

I waved back and started to ask him what he had down over the summer but someone else interrupted me. "Hey, Adam."